- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 14 Aug 2017
- by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Charles Mafa on 15 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
Lungu demands UPND recognition before dialogueBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 7 Apr 2017
President Edgar Lungu says the UPND must first recognise him as Head of State before there can be any dialogue between PF and the opposition.
And President Lungu says he has received the inquiry report into what led to the death of 34-year-old ZAF flight sergeant Mark Choongwe at Woodlands Police, but did not divulge details.
Speaking at City Airport earlier today before departure for Mongu, President Lungu said his doors were open for dialogue, but with people who recognised that he was duly elected Head of State “as declared by the Electoral Commission of Zambia and the Courts of law”.
“What is it that I am going to discuss with them if they say I am not President? I have no difficulties with the opposition but they should bring issues which are objective and national in character,” President Lungu said.
“If they are crying foul that they were robbed off the victory it’s not for me to decide it’s for the courts of law and ECZ, I am willing to meet anybody but there should be an agenda.”
And the President said “investigations into the murder of the ZAF officer have been completed and a report has been handed over to me. I am not a prosecutor and so we will let the law take its course.”
Flight sergeant Choongwa died in police custody at Woodlands Police Station where he was brutally beaten by other inmates.
And the President who is in Mongu to grace the Kuomboka ceremony said he appreciated and valued tradition and culture.
“It is a cultural event and am going there as a Zambian who appreciates tradition and culture,” said President Lungu.
The Kuomboka traditional ceremony of the Lozi people of Western Province has not taken place in the last three years due to very low water levels on the Zambezi.
Western Province and Mongu is particular is a UPND political stronghold and the opposition party leader Hakainde Hichilema and his deputy Geoffrey Mwamba are also gracing the event.
Expectations are high among residents and governance stakeholders around the possibility of the two leaders meeting for an elusive handshake since the incumbent was sworn into office.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- HH’s release not a result of international pressure – Kampamba - 17 Aug 2017
- HH release in public interest – Scotland - 16 Aug 2017
- Revisit policy on compulsory HIV testing, HRC urges govt - 16 Aug 2017
- DPP entered nolle to hide State’s crimes against Hichilema and his co-accused – Wynter - 16 Aug 2017
- Zambia’s embassy in S/Africa says SADC is impressed with Zambia’s democracy - 15 Aug 2017
You may also like...
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend