- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
UPND finally distances itself from arsonBy Thomas Mulenga on 23 Apr 2017
The United Party for National Development has finally distanced itself from a spate of arson activities that have dominated current affairs in Zambia following the arrest of party leader Hakainde Hichilema.
And UPND national chairperson Mutale Nalumango today told journalists that President Edgar Lungu cannot threaten citizens that he will declare a state of emergency because Zambians are already living in a state of emergency.
Nalumango said PF was behind the spate of fires in the country.
“Everything that is happening in this country today is towards the PF goal of achieving a one party state. The incarceration of the UPND president and the mass arrests of UPND supporters are all part of this scheme. We have enough reason to believe that these fires are being orchestrated by the PF so as to wrongly implicate the UPND,” Nalumango said.
“There are several criminal activities committed by PF members, sometimes in full view of the police, but these have been ignored. Zambians have seen machete-wielding PF cadres on TV and these have not been arrested because they are way above the law.”
She said the UPND was a peaceful party.
“UPND is a peaceful party whose members adhere to party directives. We are a law-abiding party. That is why even after the disputed elections, we went to court, we didn’t go to the streets. We are not a bunch of clueless people who can walk into the streets with machetes, beating and insulting people. That is not UPND. Our mission and vision are very clear; we want a better Zambia for all, not just for UPND,” Nalumango said as UPND supporters applauded her remarks.
“So how can we start burning the tools we need to liberate this country? How can we start burning the markets? In whose interest, other than in the interest of those who want to declare a state of emergency?”
She urged citizens to wake up and realise that the PF government was a danger to their human rights.
“Let me take advantage of this press briefing to remind the Zambians that we are all in danger of these PF. Zambians must understand that when someone threatens a state of emergency, that simply means losing your human rights. Rights that you were born with; the right to assemble, the right of expression, all the rights that you are aware of will go down the drain,” she said.
Nalumango however warned that the PF would suffer under the state of emergency.
“Let me state here that when that happens, the real people who will feel the effect are the PF, because for us we live already in the state of emergency. We can’t assemble, we can’t walk freely, when we talk it’s an insult. So we have already tested a piece of the state of emergency, so that is why we are saying it should not be allowed. Zambia must go forward and Zambia will go forward,” Nalumango declared as her supporters cheered.
“These PF are the people who have peddled lies, planned murder, arrests, and have come back to dupe you with bibles. I also want to state that whatever you do, God is watching. Ecclesiastes chapter 5 verse 8 says if you see the poor oppressed in a district, and justice and rights denied, do not be surprised at such things; for one official is eyed by a higher one, and over them both are others higher still. God is watching and he is higher and a great ruler. You cannot dupe people using the bible.”
She recalled that the arrest of HH was done under orders PF officials.
“Who did not hear Mumbi Phiri lambast the police for failing to arrest HH? Did you not hear her on TV ordering to smoke HH out like a rat? What happened the following day, HH was indeed smoked out in a shameful manner that has left the world shocked,” Nalumango said.
“These accusations of arson are just a smoke screen, meant to divert people’s attention from their brutality and extreme abuse of human rights. The PF and their Edgar Lungu are lost at sea; they don’t know what to do with the mess they have created in the country. So to address their economic incompetence, they silence the media and the opposition. To cover their corruption and poor governance, they abuse the police.”
She said Zambians were finally seeing through the lies of the PF.
“People are beginning to see through their lies and they are beginning to demand fulfillment of the PF campaign promises. And what is the PF promising now, a state of emergency. Zambians, we are in trouble if we do not work together to demand the Zambia we want,” Nalumango said.
“Instead of being objective and professional when conducting investigations, the police have now become partisan. Referring to the recent reports on the alleged attempts to burn a bus at Intercity and the stubbing of a bus driver at UTH, they were strategically aimed at painting the UPND black. Since when did the police conclude based on assertions without proper facts? UPND is not responsible for the fires. Our message to the general membership of the party across the country is to remain calm. We are watching what is going on.”
About Thomas Mulenga
Thomas Mulenga has a special interest in political news, current affairs, community and education news.
- Registrar of Societies playing foolish politics – NAREP - 31 May 2019
- Lungu committed to delivering health care services – Chilufya - 31 May 2019
- Austerity measures a sham – Kambwili - 31 May 2019
- NAREP opposes cancellation of agricultural shows in 3 provinces - 30 May 2019
- Kang’ombe’s victory in Sesheke petition a lesson to PF – UPND - 30 May 2019
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (14,645 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (13,250 views)
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption (8,388 views)
- Gassing can't be stopped in one day - State House (7,560 views)
- Top Chingola cops implicated in gassing incidences (6,772 views)
- Lungu wants Kambwili back in PF, claims GBM
- Wina is lying, Zambia suffering because of theft in govt, not because of by-elections - Sangwa
- Enjoy the sweet, but remember Guy Scott who sweated for it
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?”
- Gassing can't be stopped in one day - State House
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court
- Interest rates rise to 28%
- Lumezi MP backs Bill 10
- Southern Province in internet blackout
- Cooperatives must be used as viable businesses, Mungalaba tells entrepreneurs
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend