- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Nyambe Lubasi on 20 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 18 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 17 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 15 Nov 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
ERB refuses to explain looming fuel price hikeBy Mirriam Chabala on 16 May 2017
UPP leader Saviour Chishimba claims the Energy Regulation Board (ERB) intends to increase the price of fuel by 48 per cent.
But ERB consumer and public affairs director Agness Phiri says only the energy regulation body has the authority to announce increments.
In a statement yesterday, Saviour said he had information that government would impose the increment by the end of the week.
“They want to impose the 48 per cent increase in the fuel pump prices, we know that this is part of their 2016 plan. But I hope that PF will rescind the decision and this is the reason why we are even speaking out before they do it, we are hoping they will think twice,” Chishimba stated.
“We in the UPP seriously urge the PF regime not increase the pump price of fuel by 48 per cent this week. We pleaded with government in December, 2016 not to increase the pump price of fuel to k21 per litre and we were happy that our advice was headed to. Nonetheless, it would appear to us that whenever the PF regime decides on a particular course of action, it leaves no room for counsel on issues that affect Zambians. The 48 per cent increase, as e have learned from our sources, will bring past what we exposed last year.”
He said the increase would worsen people’s living standards.
“The people of Zambia are already struggling and aggregate demand in our economy continues to drop. The high electricity Harris and fuel will push the cost of essential commodities upwards and this will be catastrophic for families in the country,” stated Chishimba.
But Phiri, who could neither confirm nor deny Saviour’s pronouncement, said only the ERB had the authority to announce increments.
“It is only the ERB which has that authority to announce any changes in the prices which are made. And at such a time when the prices are changed, we will definitely announce and everyone will be aware,” said Phiri.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- World Bank approves $26.5m loan for REA - 20 Nov 2017
- Ministry of Health nods nullification of GNC exams - 20 Nov 2017
- Mismanagement of national resources exacerbating inequality – Oxfam - 20 Nov 2017
- All dictators eventually go – Milupi - 19 Nov 2017
- We would like to see action on Auditor General’s report – Swedish Envoy - 18 Nov 2017
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- When we takeover govt mukanya ba pompwe, Kambwili warns PF
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- PAC sends away ministry auditor for improper dressing
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend