- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Thomas Mulenga on 19 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
ERB refuses to explain looming fuel price hikeBy Mirriam Chabala on 16 May 2017
UPP leader Saviour Chishimba claims the Energy Regulation Board (ERB) intends to increase the price of fuel by 48 per cent.
But ERB consumer and public affairs director Agness Phiri says only the energy regulation body has the authority to announce increments.
In a statement yesterday, Saviour said he had information that government would impose the increment by the end of the week.
“They want to impose the 48 per cent increase in the fuel pump prices, we know that this is part of their 2016 plan. But I hope that PF will rescind the decision and this is the reason why we are even speaking out before they do it, we are hoping they will think twice,” Chishimba stated.
“We in the UPP seriously urge the PF regime not increase the pump price of fuel by 48 per cent this week. We pleaded with government in December, 2016 not to increase the pump price of fuel to k21 per litre and we were happy that our advice was headed to. Nonetheless, it would appear to us that whenever the PF regime decides on a particular course of action, it leaves no room for counsel on issues that affect Zambians. The 48 per cent increase, as e have learned from our sources, will bring past what we exposed last year.”
He said the increase would worsen people’s living standards.
“The people of Zambia are already struggling and aggregate demand in our economy continues to drop. The high electricity Harris and fuel will push the cost of essential commodities upwards and this will be catastrophic for families in the country,” stated Chishimba.
But Phiri, who could neither confirm nor deny Saviour’s pronouncement, said only the ERB had the authority to announce increments.
“It is only the ERB which has that authority to announce any changes in the prices which are made. And at such a time when the prices are changed, we will definitely announce and everyone will be aware,” said Phiri.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mandatory HIV testing unconstitutional – PeP - 17 Aug 2017
- Ndola Police stop “HH freedom” celebrations - 17 Aug 2017
- Compulsory HIV testing is against human rights – FDD - 16 Aug 2017
- Lufwanyama toasts PF empowerment - 15 Aug 2017
- Fishing ban too short to allow breeding – Chilangwa - 15 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend