- by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Aug 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 20 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
I am not broken, lets now get on with it – HHBy Joseph Mwenda on 8 Jun 2017
In this audio, UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema says he is still going strong and ready for trial because his spirit has not been broken.
And Hichilema says he is now looking forward to a speedy trial because he has not committed any crime to warrant his two-month-long detention.
In an interview after Lusaka magistrate David Simusamba committed him to the High Court to stand trial in the treason case, Hichilema told News Diggers that he was a strong man and no one would succeed to break his spirit.
Asked if he was confident of getting a fair trial in the High Court, Hichilema said any trained court official understood that there was no treason case.
“I think the issue here is that when there is no case, anybody who is trained as a lawyer knows that they must do the right thing, there is no case,” Hichilema said.
Asked if he was broken having spent two months in remand prison, Hichilema said he was going strong.
“Never! My spirit is not broken, not at all. You cannot break the spirit of an individual like us. We have to remain strong and we are going strong until we prove ourselves,” he said.
Take a listen:
Hichilema maintained that his incarceration was as a result of the political competition that he was posing to the ruling party.
“We were basically picked up in a brutal manner, not because we had committed a crime but because of political competition, absence of the rule of law and disrespect for human rights. That is why we are in court because if you followed the ruling of the other magistrate [Greenwell Malumani] there was no investigation done. There is no issue here and we want to prove ourselves in court,” he said.
Meanwhile, Hichilema said he was looking forward to a speedy trial.
“We are ready for trial, there is no doubt about it. This is a non-issue for us. I am in court because of hatred, because of vindictiveness. We look forward to the court to allocate days quickly so that we can prove that there is nothing here.
We need a dedicated judge to deal with our matter expeditiously. Justice delayed is justice denied, there is no question about it. So lets get on with it. Lets do it,” said Hichilema
Take a listen:
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- HH relives memories from prison: We slept on the cold floor, used buckets as toilets - 20 Aug 2017
- Zambians make fun of mandatory HIV testing - 18 Aug 2017
- Tendai Biti regrets fall of Zambia’s democracy - 16 Aug 2017
- They raided my son’s office, not mine – Mulongoti - 15 Aug 2017
- Lungu’s oil exploration launch in legal tumble - 13 Aug 2017
You may also like...
- Police block HH release celebrations in Western Province
- HH relives memories from prison: We slept on the cold floor, used buckets as toilets
- Peace is indispensable to development, Lungu tells SADC
- Resolve differences around Zambia-Canada Foreign and Investment Promotion Agreement
- Tribute to the 5 ‘co-abused’
Weekly Most Digged
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend