- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017by Osward Sichone in Kafue on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Speaker recalls 1 UPND MP from suspensionBy Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jun 2017
Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini has lifted the suspension of UPND Namwala member of Parliament Moono Lubezhi, saying the lawmaker was erroneously included on the list of 48 absent MPs when she had sort permission.
Dr Matibini has also corrected on Ephraim Belemu’s absence from President Edgar Lungu’s state of the nation address in March.
Delivering his ruling in Parliament today on the two points of order raised by Mbabala UPND Member of Parliament Ephraim Belemu last week, Speaker Dr Matibini said it was inadvertent and regrettable that the Namwala lawmaker was suspended from the House along with the 47 other members.
Dr Matibini told the House that he had with immediate effect amended his ruling reflecting on the suspension of the the Namwala lawmaker and that he had since directed the Clerk to ensure that the records were amended accordingly and instructed that remedial measures be taken immediately.
“Honourable members you will recall that on June 16, 2017 when the Honourable member of parliament for Milengi constituency Mwansa Mbulakulima MP was asking a question on a point of clarification from the Ministerial statement delivered by the Honourable Minister of Housing and Infrastructure Development, Honourable R. Chitotela, the Honourable member of parliament for Mbabala constituency, Mr Ephraim Belemu rose a point of order on the ruling I delivered on Tuesday 13th June, 2017 suspending 48 UPND members of parliament from the House. In the point of order, the Honourable member, amongst other issues said that I suspended Miss Moono Lubezhi, member of Parliament for Namwala constituency when in fact she had authority from the Honourable Chief Whip to stay away from the sitting of the House on 17th Match 2017 to enable her attend Court.
“To support his point of order, the MP laid on the table of the House a copy of Ms Lubezhi’s approval of the application for leave of absence. Furthermore, Mr Belemu submitted that the reason I gave the House for his absence on 17th March 2017 was incorrect to designate leave of absence from the Honourable Chief Whip but that his absence was due to ill health. To this effect, Mr Belemu MP sort guidance on whether the House was in order to have passed a resolution that was based on defective facts and which appear to victimize members of the UPND on account of affiliation to the party and not on facts. He therefore volunteered to be suspended because he did not want to be saved on an unjustified basis,” Speaker Matibini recalled.
Dr Matibini said he had carefully reviewed the two issues and that he was ready to deliver his ruling.
“Honourable members I have since reviewed the records regarding the two issues which are subject of Mr Belemu’s point of order and I now wish to render my ruling as follows; Firstly, let me set from the offset that the point of order raised by the Honourable member for Mbabala sort to clarify my ruling rendered on 13th June, 2017. I therefore begin by addressing the issue relating to the Honourable member for Mbabala constituency himself. The records reviewed that on 16th March 2017, the Honourable Member for Mbabala constituency visited the National Assembly of Zambia clinic where upon being attended to was certified unfit for duties on account of ill health and was accordingly granted two-days off-sick. This fact was brought to the attention of the Chief Whip and he accordingly noted it and eventually, this was brought to the attention of the legal department that was processing the matter therefore he is deemed to have obtained permission to be absent from the House on 17th March, 2017 that on this basis, the Honourable member for Mbabala was correctly excluded from the members that absented themselves from the House without authority on Friday, 17th March, 2017,” said Dr Matibini.
“Let me now attend to the issue pertaining to the matter regarding Ms Moono Lubezhi Honourable member for Namwala constituency. Honourable members, I would love to confirm from the offset that the Honourable member for Namwala was expressly granted authority to be absent from the House on 16th and 17th March, 2017 by the Honorable Chief Whip to enable her attend a Court session. Therefore her inclusion on the list of the 48 UPND suspended Members of Parliament was both inadvertent and regrettable. Honorable members, you may however wish to note that while the ruling contained an accidental omission, the ruling can and should be corrected and it is in view of this fact that I here by amend my ruling of 13th June 2017 to reflect the fact that the Honourable Member for Namwala Constituency was absent with permission on 17th March 2017. I further direct the Clerk to ensure that the records are amended accordingly and remedial measures taken immediately,” said Dr Matibini.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- ZICTA confiscates transmitter for a Choma community radio station - 19 Oct 2017
- ERB too quick at hiking prices, slow on reducing – CUTS - 18 Oct 2017
- National Day of Prayer has divided the nation – Kabimba - 18 Oct 2017
- Promise to stop stealing before inviting us for prayers, HH tells PF - 18 Oct 2017
- Mwila reserves party position on calls for Mulusa’s dismissal - 17 Oct 2017
You may also like...
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend