- by Osward Sichone in Kafue on 21 Oct 2017by Anastasia Kasongo on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Luo has failed, hence proposing to dissolve unions – ZANASUBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Jul 2017
Zambia National Students’ Union (ZANASU) president Joseph Busenga says if Higher Education Minister Professor Nkandu Luo wants to abolish unions in colleges and universities, she should further propose the dissolution of Cabinet and Parliament.
In a statement, Busenga charged that Prof Luo was having vivid imagination of students bodies being militias.
“A union is a mouth piece for the students that bring about order because its not all the students that can be talking to management, parliament and cabinet as good as unions do. So if Luo wants to abolish unions she should begin with the abolishment of Cabinet and Parliament. The minister has just failed to run the ministry lamentably and she is now having vivid imagination of students bodies being militias, its a shame for a carpenter to blame his tools,” Busenge said.
He alleged that Luo was a wrong person to run the affairs of students in institutions of higher learning because she had no energy to manage students.
“We as ZANASU are of a considered view that she is in a wrong ministry and above all, she has no energy to run the ministry hence the mere conjectures. Freedom of association is a fundamental right in the Constitution and no one should take it away from any individual. Such minister are up to no good. The don’t want to support the fundamentals of democracy, painting President Lungu a bad picture. We want to appeal to members of parliament not to associate themselves with such low thinking. We are challenging the minister just to resolve student problems and not to run away,” said Busenge.
Professor Nkandu Luo recently told parliament that her ministry will soon start the consultation process that will seek to dissolve students unions because they were not necessary. She said the unions would be replaced by guilds.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi’s jersey at Day of Prayer - 19 Oct 2017
- Pastors pray for Lungu: “The President shouldn’t die” - 18 Oct 2017
- Opposition shuns National Day of Prayer - 18 Oct 2017
- Stop using criminal justice system to target critics, Amnesty International tells Lungu - 18 Oct 2017
- Chisamba woman kills step daughter, buries her at home - 17 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend