- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 24 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Laura Miti on 24 Nov 2017by The Washington Post on 16 Nov 2017by Times of Zambia employees on 15 Nov 2017by Lulu Wood on 10 Nov 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
MMD will be a strong factor in 2021 – MumbaBy Karen Mwelwa on 16 Jul 2017
Movement for Multi-party Democracy (MMD) leader Nevers Mumba says the former ruling party will be a strong factor by 2021 after the court disposes off the leadership dispute with Felix Mutati.
And Mumba, who is also former vice-president, says his party is still financially stable and that those members of parliament who have left to join the Patriotic Front (PF) were not indispensable.
Several key MMD members have taken up Cabinet positions in the ruling PF among them Dora Siliya (Agriculture), Felix Mutati (Finance), Lucky Mulusa (National Planning), Vincent Mwale (Local Government) and Victoria Kalima (Gender). Others are Dennis Wanchinga (General Education), Margaret Mwanakatwe (Commerce) and Michael Katambo.
But speaking in an interview with News Diggers! Mumba said his party was doing “very well” and that the above names were not factors.
“Our case is in court and we are confident that within the next few months this thing will be disposed off and MMD will decide once they go to the convention to strengthen themselves in order to participate in the 2021 elections. We are focused and the problems we are facing are not unique, it happens in all the political parties and we have successfully fought this misbehavior by some of those people,” Mumba said.
“Right now, MMD has gone through the challenges and you know the genesis of these problems and who is responsible. No person holds a political party and that without them a political party wont exists, that doesn’t exist in the world. We are very confident that after this process MMD will reorganize itself and become a very strong factor again by 2021.”
Mumba however said his party was currently preoccupied with strengthening its Alliance partnership with the United Party for National Development (UPND) “in order to challenge the poor PF governance with a stronger voice”.
“We are still Alliance partners with UPND and we are going to do what we are supposed to do to make sure that we strengthen the opposition front. We are in partnership with the UPND and we will continue to put up a united front. So there is no need for any of us to dissolve themselves,” said Mumba when asked if was considering dissolving the MMD in order to form one party with UPND.
About Karen Mwelwa
Karen is a Zambia journalists interested in political, business and social news
- Presidential aides and good living - 24 Nov 2017
- ConCourt ruling means ex-ministers used govt resources to campaign – Caritas - 23 Nov 2017
- MUTHIYA EYES NKANA GOLFERS - 22 Nov 2017
- FAZ salutes Sikazwe’s 2018 World Cup appointment - 22 Nov 2017
- Under-20 outshines Chilanga youth select - 22 Nov 2017
You may also like...
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend