by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 20 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 17 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
2018 budget an insult – KambwiliBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 30 Sep 2017
Expelled Roan PF member of parliament Chishimba Kambwili says the 2018 budget is an insult which proves that the ruling party is now MMD reloaded.
And Mazabuka UPND member of parliament Garry Nkombo says the cost of living will rise in 2018.
Speaking to journalists shortly after finance minister presented the budget yesterday, Kambwili said the introduced taxes would make life unbearable for the masses.
“He increases tax on geysers, he increases the tax on cement for the poor people that are building, what are you talking about? It is no longer PF I have told you, this is MMD reloaded, more taxes for the people. So I am extremely disappointed that we have moved away from what we stood for as PF and just going the Rupiah [Banda] way. I feel sorry for my grandmother in Mporokoso. While they are saying we are taking electricity to Mporokoso, they are increasing the cost of that electricity, they are increasing the cost of a stove, they are increasing the cost of a geyser telling my grandmother that you can’t bath hot water, you cant cook on a stove, you have to continue cooking on mbaula (brazier). That’s an insult to the people of Zambia, but anyway, when you have a president who is corrupt, these are the results,” Kambwili said.
Asked if there were any positives in the proposed budget, Kambwili said although there were one or two positives, the bottom line was that PF was taking away from the poor.
“Of course there are positives. One or two positives that I can say they are positives, I mean am not going to throw away even the positives but the fact is that we are moving away from what PF stands for lower taxes and more money in people’s pockets. You are taking away money, people’s income from the poor, taking it into government, thats Edgar Lungu,” said Kambwili.
And Nkombo, in a separate interview, said the cost of living would rise.
“The presentation requires to be studied in detail, from the face of it, we think that the cost of living is going to go up. You heard the minister speak about small things that amount to big things such as TV levy such as the excise duties, he spoke about the increasing the price of cement. What that means is that the rentals in this country are going to go up. The minister didn’t say much regarding the Lusaka-Copperbelt road. According to him, PPP does not quite include government but to our understanding, the public is government,” said Nkombo.
“So it also goes without saying that that cost of building that road and the recovery period and the players in there, we are told that NAPSA are part of the players are going to establish toll gates. If they are going to establish toll gates, the return on the investment must come as quickly as possible. It goes without saying that the toll gate fee will not be as it is with the toll gates that are run by RDA. They will be a bit more expensive. So generally I think our general comment is that this budget is going to increase the cost of living.”
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lungu forcing self-driven Constitution on Zambians – Milupi - 20 Sep 2019
- We’re poorly funded to fight all corruption – ACC - 19 Sep 2019
- Zambia plans maize exports to DRC - 19 Sep 2019
- Zambeef driver commits suicide - 19 Sep 2019
- 2020 budget should clear K1.2 billion owed to medical suppliers, demands PSZ - 18 Sep 2019
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (11,351 views)
- UK responds with relief food to hunger disaster (1,885 view)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (1,415 view)
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency - KBF (1,028 view)
- Power is like buttocks, when you go up, prepare to go down (917 views)
- It’s against separation of powers for Parley to supervise executive – PF
- Continued abuse of Zesco will sustain Zambia’s power deficit – PAC
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo
- 7 Lumwana expatriates were lawfully fired, company tells court
- Lungu forcing self-driven Constitution on Zambians – Milupi
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend