- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Oct 2017by Patricia Mbewe and Anastasia Kasongo on 23 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 23 Oct 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017
LAZ condemns HH for attacking JudiciaryBy Mirriam Chabala on 11 Oct 2017
The Law Association of Zambia has condemned UPND president Hakainde Hichilema for accusing some Constitutional Court Judges of corruption without valid evidence.
In a statement today, LAZ president Linda Kasonde stated that it was wrong for HH to start accusing judges of corruption without lodging in a complaint with relevant authorities like the Judicial Complaints Commission where he could present his evidence against them.
Kasonde stated that the issuance of careless and unsubstantiated allegations of corruption against public officers had the potential of creating anarchy and eroding public confidence in institutions such as the Judiciary.
“The Law Association of Zambia is gravely concerned at very serious allegations that have been leveled against members of the Judiciary by United Party for National Development president Mr Hakainde Hichilema. In particular, LAZ is concerned about allegations of corruption on the following judges of the Constitutional Court: Judge Anne Mwewa Sitali, Judge Palan Musonda and Judge Mungeni Mulenga,” Kasonde stated.
“LAZ strongly condemns the making of any unsubstantiated claims, particularly of corruption, against any member of the judiciary. As LAZ has advised on several occasions, any member of the public with evidence of corruption against any judicial officer or public servant should lodge a complaint with the relevant authorities, such as the Judicial Complaints Commission, together with substantiated evidence.”
Kasonde implored the UPND leader to desist from making allegations against judicial officers without caution and consideration in future.
“LAZ, like any concerned member of the public is interested in the preservation of the Judiciary as an institution that is mandated to uphold the rule of law, justice and integrity in the nation. Judicial officers by virtue of their positions cannot publicly defend themselves. We therefore implore the UPND and the public in general to desist from making allegations against Judicial officers without caution, due care and consideration as careless and substantiated allegations have the potential of creating anarchy and eroding public confidence in this institution,” stated Kasonde.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- ZICTA confiscates transmitter for a Choma community radio station - 19 Oct 2017
- ERB too quick at hiking prices, slow on reducing – CUTS - 18 Oct 2017
- National Day of Prayer has divided the nation – Kabimba - 18 Oct 2017
- Promise to stop stealing before inviting us for prayers, HH tells PF - 18 Oct 2017
- Mwila reserves party position on calls for Mulusa’s dismissal - 17 Oct 2017
You may also like...
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend