- by Natasha Sakala on 22 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Lungu weakest opponent we can face in 2021 – KambwiliBy Mirriam Chabala on 11 Dec 2018
Chishimba Kambwili says the Constitutional Court’s decision to declare President Edgar Lungu eligible to contest the 2021 general elections is a blessing in disguise because he is the weakest opponent one can face.
And the embattled Roan PF member of parliament says PF Secretary General Davies Mwila should stop pressurizing the Speaker of the National Assembly Patrick Matibini to declare the Roan parliamentary seat vacant and allow the Court of Appeal to determine the matter.
In an interview, Kambwili said the ConCourt’s decision to declare President Lungu eligible to contest the 2021 general elections is a blessing in disguise because he is the weakest opponent one can face.
“I can only say it’s a laughing matter. What did you expect? The President warned the ConCourt judges that if they ruled against him, there would be chaos. And he has always been saying that he is running for President in 2021. Then Amos Chanda issued a statement two days ago that the president doesn’t mind the outcome of the ConCourt. That ‘whether the ruling is in his favour or not, he doesn’t mind’. Then we saw a PF cadre from Southern Province say a day before the ConCourt ruling that ‘President Lungu is eligible and he will rule up to 2026, you will see’… early in the morning on judgment day, cadres are over on the streets celebrating even before the ConCourt judgment is given. That’s why I am saying it’s a laughing matter. You can fool people once but you cannot fool them always,” Kambwili he said.
“But I can tell you that this is a blessing in disguise. God is very gracious, his ways are not our ways. He knows that Lungu is the weakest opponent we can face. So for me, it’s a blessing in disguise because Lungu is the weakest opponent I can meet in an election. No matter what has happened, I don’t want to cry over spilled milk but in my view I shall always hold the opinion that he doesn’t qualify. But if the Concourt in their opinion think he qualifies, so be it. But it’s a blessing in disguise, we will meet in the election and he’ll be bruised very badly. Not even the wealth he has gotten in the last three years will help him. The ruling is really laughable but we are used with such things in Zambia… why are you surprised by the ruling? Vehicles have already been branded ‘ECL 2021’, Vitenges have been produced. That’s why I didn’t even go to listen to that ruling because I knew the outcome already, it’s laughable really, I wish I could laugh the all day.”
On October 25, Lusaka High Court judge Maria Kawimbe threw out Kambwili’s application in a case in which he was challenging his expulsion from the Patriotic Front party on technicalities, owing to his “lack of seriousness” on the matter.
Although Kambwili appealed the court’s decision, the PF has dragged Speaker Matibini to court saying his decision not to declare the Roan seat vacant is illegal, a move which Kambwili says is premature.
“Mwila is just dull, I have already told you that he’s dull. The Speaker is on firm ground, he’s following what the law says. Mwila should know that what’s good for the goose should be good for the gander. The Speaker did not declare Mwanakatwe and Nkandu Luo’s seats vacant when they appealed to the Supreme court. Why does he want the Speaker to declare my seat vacant when I have appealed? There should be mo special rules for PF. Mwila should do an introspection of himself and his behaviour, he’s only exposing his ignorance by doing what he’s doing. Why even go and sue the Attorney General?” wondered Kambwili.
“Why go and sue the Speaker of the National Assembly, why? The Speaker is on firm ground, let’s just have that matter heard one merit. Why are they scared? It’s because they know that they did not follow the constitution, they abrogated the constitution so they are looking for short cut. Natural justice entails that the matter be heard on merit. I have appealed against the squashing off of that case by the High court. So why is Mwila in a hurry? Tabala pali (don’t they sleep over) Roan [constituency]? Tell them that whatever the circumstances, they will lose. Whether in court or by election, they will lose. I know they always dream of Roan and they don’t sleep. But let them just celebrate the ConCourt ruling for now.”
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India (2,264 views)
- Mushimba wonders why accepted UNZA student don’t show up to enroll (1,915 view)
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (1,636 view)
- You'll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt (1,601 view)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (1,024 view)
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend