- by Julia Malunga on 20 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 19 Aug 2019
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 16 Aug 2019
- by Julia Malunga on 19 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Aug 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Hippo culling exercise to start in May – GovtBy Mirriam Chabala on 14 Feb 2019
Ministry of Tourism Permanent Secretary Rev Howard Sikwela has announced that the hippo culling exercise in the Luangwa Valley of Eastern Province will commence in May at the start of the hunting season.
Tourism and Arts Public Relations Officer Sakabilo Kalembwe said in a statement that Rev Sikwela disclosed this, Wednesday, when he met representatives from various Community Resource Boards (CRBs) across the country.
Sakabilo stated that Rev Sikwela informed the meeting that the hippo culling exercise would be preceded by sensitization of the communities and stakeholders involved in the process in order for all to appreciate the benefits of the massive undertaking.
Rev Sikwela said those in Eastern Province, where the activity would conducted from, shall be given an opportunity to contribute and ask questions where they were not sure concerning the culling activity.
The PS expressed happiness that a lot of people already had an appreciation of the background and benefits of the culling activity.
Earlier in Rev Sikwela’s meeting, National CRBs association coordinator Isaac Banda wondered if the hunting story was a rumour or a confirmed position by the Ministry.
Banda said he was concerned that local communities in areas where the culling activity would take place had not been fully engaged to appreciate the benefits of such an undertaking.
He said the communities were equal partners with government in the conservation process and hence the need to constantly be kept in the know of what was happening in their surroundings.
Hippo culling in the Luangwa Valley is a measure necessitated to keep in check the over-population of the wild animals.
The function is usually sanctioned by the Zambian Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) as a ‘wildlife management tool’ to also prevent any possible spread of anthrax among wild animals along a 250Km stretch of riverine forest between Chikwa in North Luangwa and Lusangazi in South Luangwa.
But the US AMbassador to Zambia Daniel Foote has objected to the move, arguing that there was no scientific research to prove that the animals were overpopulated and causing harm to humans in the valley.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,155 views)
- Lungu is in gear 5 of 2021 campaigns (1,855 view)
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees (944 views)
- UPND reports GBM to police for 'tribal hatred' (899 views)
- Only a miracle can stop kwacha’s depreciation – Hamaundu (881 views)
- Lungu must urgently declare hunger crisis, insists HH
- We’re a hungry nation because we insist that maize is our staple food
- The corrupt are evil, we must not glorify those who steal from us – Musa
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up – Nkombo
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Don’t tell us what to do, if you see hunger, just donate, Lungu responds to British Envoy
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend