by Julia Malunga on 13 Dec 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Dec 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 12 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 11 Dec 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 10 Dec 2019by Natasha Sakala on 10 Dec 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Dec 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 12 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 9 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Dec 2019by Abraham Kalito on 6 Dec 2019
by Diggers Editor on 13 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Dec 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Julius Kapembwa (PhD) on 5 Dec 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 4 Dec 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Nov 2019by Dr Chishimba Mubanga, MSc on 22 Nov 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 9 Dec 2019by Sampa Kabwela on 23 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019
Hippo culling exercise to start in May – GovtBy Mirriam Chabala on 14 Feb 2019
Ministry of Tourism Permanent Secretary Rev Howard Sikwela has announced that the hippo culling exercise in the Luangwa Valley of Eastern Province will commence in May at the start of the hunting season.
Tourism and Arts Public Relations Officer Sakabilo Kalembwe said in a statement that Rev Sikwela disclosed this, Wednesday, when he met representatives from various Community Resource Boards (CRBs) across the country.
Sakabilo stated that Rev Sikwela informed the meeting that the hippo culling exercise would be preceded by sensitization of the communities and stakeholders involved in the process in order for all to appreciate the benefits of the massive undertaking.
Rev Sikwela said those in Eastern Province, where the activity would conducted from, shall be given an opportunity to contribute and ask questions where they were not sure concerning the culling activity.
The PS expressed happiness that a lot of people already had an appreciation of the background and benefits of the culling activity.
Earlier in Rev Sikwela’s meeting, National CRBs association coordinator Isaac Banda wondered if the hunting story was a rumour or a confirmed position by the Ministry.
Banda said he was concerned that local communities in areas where the culling activity would take place had not been fully engaged to appreciate the benefits of such an undertaking.
He said the communities were equal partners with government in the conservation process and hence the need to constantly be kept in the know of what was happening in their surroundings.
Hippo culling in the Luangwa Valley is a measure necessitated to keep in check the over-population of the wild animals.
The function is usually sanctioned by the Zambian Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) as a ‘wildlife management tool’ to also prevent any possible spread of anthrax among wild animals along a 250Km stretch of riverine forest between Chikwa in North Luangwa and Lusangazi in South Luangwa.
But the US AMbassador to Zambia Daniel Foote has objected to the move, arguing that there was no scientific research to prove that the animals were overpopulated and causing harm to humans in the valley.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF hasn’t told me about any ultimatum – Chungu - 10 Dec 2019
- Homosexuality exists in Zambia, no one chooses to be born gay – Sacika - 9 Dec 2019
- Humble tag won’t fool Zambians in 2021, Andyford tells Lungu - 9 Dec 2019
- When the ruling party owns the Constitution making process, citizens lose it – Mwenye - 6 Dec 2019
- UPND govt will demolish all structures in forest 27 – Nkombo - 6 Dec 2019
- FNB sues 'Bwalya Ng’andu' for failure to settle K369,000 loan (4,110 views)
- Remember, Kapata said mukula proceeds were not remitted to Treasury (2,414 views)
- Maseka fixed windows at Chimese's alleged property, DEC testifies in Perjury case (1,586 view)
- Explain delayed power import, Speaker orders Energy Minister (1,554 view)
- Allowing owing students to write exams creates problems - Mushimba (1,371 view)
- Homosexuality exists in Zambia, no one chooses to be born gay - Sacika
- Don't be used by UPND to get diplomatic jobs, Mumbi tells Diggers journalists
- Allowing owing students to write exams creates problems - Mushimba
- Zambia making tremendous strides in mitigating climate change - Yumba
- Power export to Zambia dependent on our surplus production - Eskom
Subscribe For News In Email
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend