- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Some Patriotic Front cadres yesterday beat up their Kabwata member of parliament Given Lubinda as he toured the market in unknown circumstances.
And PF Secretary General Davies Mwila has called on Kabwata party officials to help identify the assailants saying they must be arrested for the crime in accordance with President Edgar Lungu’s directive that ruling party members must not be allowed to engage in violence.
In a statement yesterday, police spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo stated that Lubinda, who is also Justice Minister, was assaulted by “unknown persons”.
“Police at Kabwata recieved a report of Assault from Kabwata Member of Parliament, Hon. Given Lubinda that he was assaulted by unknown persons during his tour of Kabwata Market. This occured today 12th July, 2019 between 15:00 hours and 15:30 hours. The suspects have not yet been identified and investigations in the matter have been instituted and a docket of Assault has been opened. Contrary to what is circulating on social media, Hon. Lubinda was at no point undressed by the assailants and at the time he went to report the matter to Kabwata Police Station, he was fully dressed,” stated Katongo.
And in a statement today, Mwila described the attack as cowardly, asking party officials to help identify the suspects.
“We are appalled by yesterday afternoon’s reported assault by unknown assailants of Member of the Patriotic Front Central Committee Hon Given Lubinda, who is also Minister of Justice and Member of Parliament for Kabwata Constituency. The attack was cowardly and the fact that it took place in the course of Hon Lubinda’s duty of serving his constituents during his tour of Kabwata Market made it even more reprehensible. We are gratified that the police have already issued a statement confirming that they have launched investigations into the matter. However, we call on them to intensify their thorough investigations in order for them to bring the dastardly perpetrators to book,” Mwila stated.
“This cowardly act is shameful and we will work with the Police to pursue the perpetrators with the urgency this deserves. Let me state here that Section Section 31 Criminal Procedure Code (CPC) provides for arrest by private persons. In this regard, I am directing ALL members of the Party, ALL structures of the Party in Lusaka, under the Provincial leadership to go on the ground and find the assailants and hand them over to the Police. As our Party President and Head of State His Excellency Dr Edgar Chagwa Lungu recently exhorted: “We took over government without using violence. We are a peaceful party. No one…none of our youths must be allowed to commit violence…”.In line with our President’s directive which is in tandem with the Patriotic Front’s core value of encouraging responsible law abiding citizenship, we once again call upon all members of Kabwata Constituency and anywhere else who may have relevant information, to step forward and share it with the police.”
Mwila also stated that the manner in which some media houses handled the story was disappointing.
“Patriotic Front values the noble profession of Journalism. We appreciate the importance of the media as key development partners, whose purpose is to serve the citizens—all the citizens—of a democratic Zambia, by informing them and by also holding all duty bearers accountable. However, their key role also comes with the critical responsibility to report facts; not to propagate the kind of hearsay and speculation that characterised some “reports” on Hon Lubinda’s assault. It is unfortunate that on this particular story, some sections of the media ran opinionated commentaries, disguised as “reports”. While it is a fact that Hon. Lubinda reported the assault to the police, some of these “reports” were garnished with an extra embellishment of wild claims with absolutely no corroboration. Such sensationalism has the potential to fuel further violence. We accordingly urge our media friends to resist the craving to embroider their reporting with personal views informed by unsubstantiated hearsay and partisan interests,” stated Mwila.
“As Pope John Paul II once said: “Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create”. No matter which political party we belong to, what sector we represent or what tribe we come from and no matter what our socio-economic status is; Violence is our common enemy. Therefore, the people who attacked Hon Given Lubinda are not only enemies of Patriotic Front, but more significantly, they are the enemies of peace; and therefore the enemies of ALL Zambians. May the Law take its course and may Justice prevail.”
Efforts to get a narration from Lubinda failed as his phones went unanswered, Friday.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- K1,500 surcharge for CBU students a fundraising venture – Kabwita - 12 Aug 2019
- PF has opened overnight street vending along Lusaka’s Lumumba Rd – Moonga - 12 Aug 2019
- Oasis Forum calls for withdrawal of Constitution bill - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs about US $660bn annually to achieve SDGs – UNCA - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs home-grown solutions for its challenges – Lungu - 8 Aug 2019
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt - 25 Aug 2019
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,899 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,295 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,016 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (931 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (794 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend