by Natasha Sakala on 17 Jan 2020by Natasha Sakala on 17 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Jan 2020
by Stuart Lisulo on 16 Jan 2020by Stuart Lisulo on 15 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Jan 2020by Natasha Sakala on 12 Jan 2020
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2020
- Goal Diggers
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 14 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 13 Jan 2020by Tim Zulu on 13 Jan 2020
by Diggers Editor on 17 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 16 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 14 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 12 Jan 2020
- Guest Diggers
by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Jan 2020by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 14 Jan 2020by Julius Kapembwa, PhD on 7 Jan 2020by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jan 2020
- Editor's Choice
by Sikonathi Mantshantsha on 11 Jan 2020by Amber Phillips on 19 Dec 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 17 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 17 Jan 2020by Zindikilani Banda in Sinda on 9 Jan 2020by Felix Kashweka on 17 Dec 2019
Police warn, caution Muvi TV journalistBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Jul 2019
Muvi Television journalist Kalani Muchima yesterday appeared for questioning at the Lusaka Police Service Headquarters following a news report he did about the beating of Kabwata member of parliament Given Lubinda by suspected criminals.
And Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA) chairperson Hellen Mwale says it is shocking how the police swiftly act on Patriotic Front (PF) instructions instead of acting professionally.
Meanwhile, PF media director Sunday Chanda said Muchima’s narrative was not corroborated as he employed unethical methods with a view to convince the viewers that PF and Lubinda were guilty.
Last week, suspected criminals assaulted Lubinda at Kabwata Market during a tour of his constituency.
This development was reported by Muchima, but Lubinda and Chanda called on police to take action on the reporter for insinuating that others wished the attackers had broken the minister’s legs.
After Muchima’s questioning, a source revealed that the journalist had been issued with a warn and caution statement for libel and defamation of Lubinda.
“It’s the issue of libel, source of information, who gave him the information? So it’s libel and defamation. [They have] given him a warn and caution statement on libel and defamation of Given Lubinda…he demanded to be with a lawyer and so the interrogation was in the presence of a lawyer. It was just cut short because he refused to answer in the way questions were being asked,” the source said.
And Mwale wondered what the police were looking for.
“The unfortunate thing is that there are two people, including Innocent Phiri, who were summoned today (yesterday) at the police to give a statement. Innocent did a story on the youth skills center but that story has never even aired on Muvi TV. So as MISA we are just left to wonder as to why and what it is that the police officers are looking for…,” said Mwale who further appealed to journalists to try and be professional so that they are not in conflict with the law.
“…MISA brought Mr Gilbert Phiri, who is a MISA lawyer, to represent the two people but we are also confused as to what is happening.”
Meanwhile, Chanda stated that he never reported Muchima to the police but merely expressed displeasure in the manner his report was filed.
“…We value all media houses, including Muvi TV, as partners in development and partners in furthering the media industry. However, yellow journalism, distortions, and fake news threaten to choke the media space,” stated Chanda.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Start preparing your exit, Chilubi is ours, Mumbi taunts HH - 17 Jan 2020
- ECZ’s failure to sponsor stakeholders to Dubai will trigger suspicion – Chipenzi - 17 Jan 2020
- Zambian elections are credible, we just need good losers – Dora - 16 Jan 2020
- Take those arrested for rioting in Chingola to court, demand relatives - 16 Jan 2020
- Bus drivers protest “unfair impounding” by police officers - 16 Jan 2020
- Maid admits poisoning boss' breakfast (8,026 views)
- Start preparing your exit, Chilubi is ours, Mumbi taunts HH (2,546 views)
- Mundende, board must resign to improve Zesco’s performance – Eskom consultant (2,228 views)
- How Zesco imported Air from Eskom and made people pay for it (2,020 views)
- Ex-OP official challenges dismissal in High Court (1,940 view)
- Zesco getting money by false pretences, hiking electricity which they don’t have – Nawakwi
- Mundende, board must resign to improve Zesco’s performance – Eskom consultant
- Transfers at KCM not political, they’re for operational efficiency – Milingo
- Police capture 365 GBV cases in 2 days
- We’ll sue ECZ if they fail to sponsor observers to Dubai – UPND
- Kamanga takes fresh swipe at Kalusha Bwalya
- How Zesco imported Air from Eskom and made people pay for it
- Maid admits poisoning boss' breakfast
- PF Central Committee's Lungu endorsement disadvantaging others - Panji Kaunda
- IMF package will be bitter, it won’t be about tightening belts but skirts - Nawakwi
Subscribe For News In Email
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend