by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 15 Nov 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Nov 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga and Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019by Mazuba Muleya on 7 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Mwiimbu demands action on Lungu’s directive to chase cadres from bus stations, marketsBy Ulande Nkomesha on 8 Nov 2019
Leader of the Opposition in Parliament Jack Mwiimbu says President Edgar Lungu’s directive to remove all cadres from bus stations and markets should be implemented with the seriousness it deserves.
In an interview, Mwiimbu said while he welcomed the Head of State’s directive to remove unruly party cadres from the two facilities, his party was concerned that this would end up as a public relations stunt.
“We hope that this particular directive will be carried out by the responsible authorities. If they don’t, us, as UPND, we will continue speaking on behalf of Zambians and I have no doubt in my mind, Zambians have heard the message loud and clear. If it turns out to be a public relations stunt, that will be very sad. As you may be aware, InterCity is an international bus station; the image of the country is being reflected as to what is happening at that particular bus station. The same as the largest market in Lusaka, Soweto and City Market; they are not only Zambians who are trading from these areas. They have been harassed on several occasions,” Mwiimbu said.
“So, the reputation of the Zambian government will be at stake. So, it will be up to them to ensure that this is done for the sake of the traveling public and the traders at this market. So, for us, as the UPND, we have noted what the President has directed, that they will carry it out. We will take an appropriate action after two weeks, we will not want to reveal what we want to do after that.”
He, however, said that the party expressed gratitude that President Lungu had finally realised the trauma, which had been caused by cadres in markets and bus stations.
”I would like to express our happiness that, finally, the PF has released the presence of PF cadres in markets and bus stations has caused trauma in the lives of our people in Zambia. For a long time, now, we have been crying for the removal of party cadres from bus stations and markets all over Zambia. We have raised these issues on several occasions and the PF have always been denying presence of party cadres in bus stations and cadres; finally, as it is always the case, the President makes a statement, every other member of the PF tolls the line,” said Mwiimbu, who is also Monze Central UPND member of parliament.
“We have noticed that even those denying the presence of cadres in bus stations and markets are now admitting that the party cadres are now there and are harassing members of the public and business people operating from these premises.”
About Ulande Nkomesha
Ulande is a reporter with an experience in radio broadcasting. He loves following current affairs and interacting with politicians.
Email: ulande [at] diggers [dot] news
- Load shedding, kwacha depreciation slashing business performance – BCI - 15 Nov 2019
- ‘Invalid papers’ force PF to switch Milenge candidates last minute - 15 Nov 2019
- Two Chinese nationals get 18 months for corruption - 14 Nov 2019
- Stephen Nyirenda poised to take over NAREP - 14 Nov 2019
- Lungu will be easy to beat in 2021 – UPND - 13 Nov 2019
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses (8,317 views)
- DEC arrests Amos for corrupt practices (1,796 view)
- I am ready to face DEC, says Amos (1,605 view)
- Court awards K3.3m damages to family of ZAF officer who died in police custody (1,138 view)
- KCM workers, exam pupils hospitalised in Chingola after inhaling toxic gas from Nchanga Mine (1,065 view)
- Chief Mukuni urged people to vote UPND in 2016, reveals Commission of Inquiry
- Enemies want to divide us as we get to 2021 – Lungu
- PF rule has no respect for human life – ZCCB
- Load shedding, kwacha depreciation slashing business performance – BCI
- Govt will get $2.03bn loan from China for Chipata-Serenje Railway project, reveals Minister
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- HH among directors of company seeking to mine in Lower Zambezi - Musukwa tells parley
- Yes, Zambia’s debt is criminal!
- Govt cancelled presidential jet purchase due to austerity measures – Wina
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend