Kamanga residents in Lusaka today protested and looted a police post after officers shot dead a 17-year-old patron during a night operation.

Police spokesperson Esther Katongo confirmed the incident in a statement saying police had commenced investigations into the matter.

The incident happened in the early hours of Sunday when police reserve officers with, members of the neighbourhood watch, went to close down a night club called Flavour Night Club.

In the process, an altercation ensued, lading to the shooting of the juvenile called Timothy Zulu.

This then angered the residents who mobilised and stormed Kamaga police post in numbers; looting and ransacking the station in the process.

“In the early hours of today, 27th September, 2020, around 01 00 hours some Police reserve officers and members of the neighborhood went to close a night club operating under the name Flavour night club in the area which was reported to have been operating after stipulated hours. As they tried to close the premises, patrons rose against the officers and during the process of the confusion, a firearm went off and shot Timothy Zulu aged 17 years of Kamanga Compound who has died,” stated Katongo.

“This sparked riots in which Kamanga Police post and two police motor vehicles have been damaged while one officer who was among the officers who went to pick the body of the victim has been injured. Calm has restored and officers are on the ground keeping vigil. An inquiry has been launched into the incident. We appeal to members of the public to remain calm as investigations continue in the matter.”

A check at the police station found that the door to the holding cell had been ripped off and some suspects took advantage of the opportunity to flee.

The angry residents wanted to burn the police post but quick action from the police stopped them.

Running battles between residents and police continued as residents started throwing stones at police vehicles.

Police were forced to indiscriminately discharge teargas canisters, choking many who were in their homes, including pregnant women and children.

Police officers also broke down some household doors in an attempt to nab the masterminds.

Calm was only restored around 11:00 hours, with police still patrolling the area.