- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
ZRA exceeds revenue collection target by K140mBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 5 Apr 2017
Zambia Revenue Authority Director General Kingsley Chanda says the authority has exceeded its revenue collection target by K140 million in the first quarter.
Speaking when he addressed the press in Livingstone yesterday on the sidelines of an Indaba on “Repositioning Zambian Capital Markets as an Enabler to Sustainable Economic Development”, Chanda said ZRA was performing very well so far.
“In terms of revenue performance, as a result of our enforcement activities, and indeed the measures that were announced by the Minister during the 2017 budget, our revenue performance has been very good. We have consistently met the target and overall in the first quarter, I wish to report that we were K140 million above target. Our target for the quarter was K8, 233 billion and we collected K8, 373 billion which gave us a surplus of K140 million. So this is as a result of the measures announced in the 2017 budget which included among other things the collection of VAT at source, introduction of surtax on some commodities and other measures that were announced by the Minister in parliament. But apart from that, we have also supplemented that with very vigorous enforcement strategy,” Chanda said.
Chanda also announced that ZRA had developed a new approach of seizing and forfeiting both goods and vessels used for smuggling.
“Our new approach as announced in the press will be to seize and forfeit both the goods and the vessels that are used for smuggling. In the past we used to give an option of filing, sometimes we used to sue the perpetrators but in our new approach, we will just be seizing the goods and the vessels,” said Chanda.
And speaking at the same briefing, Finance Minister Felix Mutati encouraged ZRA to collect more revenue saying government needed the money to clear some arrears.
“This is commendable, but we want to urge the commissioner general and the team that we need more revenue because of the challenges that we have got to undertake, in particular capital development to deal with the arrears that are still giving us headache. Arrears that still remain in excess of K10 billion. We have a tremendous task to raise revenue and that is why we have said this year, that we can’t walk on the journey alone, we need the corporation of cooperating partners and others,” said Mutati.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- New US Envoy pledges support towards electoral reforms - 15 Dec 2017
- I respect Lungu but I will insult him if he wants me to – Musenge - 14 Dec 2017
- PF cadres attack NDC officials at 5fm - 14 Dec 2017
- ZAM disapproves Pilato’s Koswe Mumpoto song - 13 Dec 2017
- COBUSU members have been suspended for causing riots – Luo - 13 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend