- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Foreign investment hardly benefiting Africans – Action AidBy Mirriam Chabala on 7 Apr 2017
Action Aid International tax justice campaign Manager, Saviour Mwamba says supporting local trade for economic growth is one sure way of improving the lives of local people and boosting the economy.
Speaking at the Centre for Trade Policy and Development (CTPD)-organised regional consultative workshop, Mwamba said much of the investments that had been brought to Africa did not benefit the locals because it did not provide them with sustainable income generating activities.
“The notion of foreign direct investments which most of the Governments’ say will increase trade by creating jobs, I think jobs are important in terms of reducing poverty, but then people don’t eat investments, people don’t eat trade. What they actually need is income and the only way you can reduce poverty is by putting income in people’s pockets. The most effective way of doing that is to create real jobs and employment; not just formal employment but also to stimulate economic activities both at local and international levels as well as economic activities that will increase things for people to do to make money,” Mwamba said.
Meanwhile, Consumer Unity Trust Society (CUTS) Center Head in Lusaka Chenai Mukumba said Government needed to prioritise the informal sector in order to identify who had been importing goods.
Mukumba explained that the informal sector needed to be empowered locally because it accounted for 90 per cent of all exports.
“Supermarkets only import 10 per cent of fruits and vegetables and then the other 90 per cent is done by the informal market, which is the local market. Government therefore needs to prioritise the informal market and ensure that it drives the development of the sectors’ agenda. We Zambians have got everything it takes to become major producers of fruits and vegetables because our land is fertile and rich,” said Mukumba.
The civil society organisations collectively determined that they would step up and ensure that fought to promote local trade for the benefit of the local people.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- $25m ADB loan to building society will push national housing agenda – ZUFIAW - 21 Nov 2017
- The court’s ruling was very clear, ex-ministers must pay – Kampamba - 21 Nov 2017
- Zim crisis will have spillover effect on Zambia – Haabasonda - 21 Nov 2017
- ZCSD defends NGOs cited for fraud - 21 Nov 2017
- World Bank approves $26.5m loan for REA - 20 Nov 2017
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- PF to remove Financial Intelligence boss
- ‘Wife’ sues Muvi TV owner over matrimonial house
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- Court refuses to resolve UNIP leadership wrangles
- PF will waste millions in compensation over illegally terminated contracts – TIZ
- Police place bounty on killers of Chinese national
- $25m ADB loan to building society will push national housing agenda – ZUFIAW
- The court’s ruling was very clear, ex-ministers must pay – Kampamba
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend