- by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jan 2018by Joseph Mwenda on 24 Jan 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jan 2018
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Jan 2018
- by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018
- Editor's Choice
- by Felix Kashweka on 13 Jan 2018by Diggers Admin on 11 Jan 2018by Tenson Mkhala on 6 Jan 2018by Felix Kashweka on 31 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 22 Jan 2018by Dr Charles Sinkala on 22 Jan 2018by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Jan 2018by Nachilala Nkombo on 20 Jan 2018
ZRA waives outstanding taxes for allBy Mirriam Chabala on 24 Apr 2017
ZRA Commissioner General Kingsly Chanda says it is cheaper to be tax compliant than to be caught evading it.
Chanda was speaking to journalists when he launched the ZRA Tax Amnesty on interest and penalties for all tax payers with outstanding debts.
Chanda said the Amnesty would run from April 24, 2017 to July 31 , 2017 during which period tax payers wishing to access waivers, would be required to submit outstanding revenues for the period before March 1, 2017.
He said the establishment of the Tax Amnesty came from a realisation that tax payers faced a lot of challenges; resulting into payment of unnecessary penalties.
Chanda however explained that the Amnesty would not apply to cases under litigation and those under the association’s investigation department; arising from audit or even relating to property transfer tax and those arising from determined court cases.
“I am proud to announce that with effect from today, 20th April, 2017, the Zambia Revenue Authority has launched an Amnesty on interest and penalties and in exercise of the powers vested in me, under various tax laws and with the approval of the Government of Republic of Zambia, through the Minister of Finance, I have today waived all interests and penalties of all tax payers with outstanding penalties and tax debt,” Chanda said.
“This amnesty will run from 24th April, 2017 to 31st July, 2017. To access the waivers during this period, tax payers are expected to submit all outstanding tax returns to pay all their principle tax liabilities for the tax period prior to 1st March, 2017.”
He emphasised that wavers would only be granted upon submission of outstanding returns and full payment of principle tax liabilities.
“However, it must be noted that all waivers, interests and penalties shall be granted upon submission of outstanding returns and full payment of principle tax liabilities. During the Amnesty period, tax payers can pay a lamp sum or in installments. Where the tax payers are not able to settle principle liability by 31st June, 2017, they should apply for a time to pay agreement to enable them settle the outstanding principle liabilities by 31st December, 2017. Tax payers are reminded to submit factual and truthful tax returns as any falsifications of tax returns will not be tolerated,” Chanda said.
“Ladies and gentlemen, let me announce that the Amnesty shall not apply to the following cases; firstly, cases under ligation and those that are under investigations by our investigations department. And also interests and penalties arising from an audit or investigations or interests and penalties relating to property transfer tax are not included. Interest and penalties relating to customs duty and interests and penalties arising from determined Court cases do not apply to the Amnesty.”
Chanda warned of strict measures to deal with tax evaders, saying it was cheaper to be tax compliant.
“Please take advantage of this wonderful gesture, being non tax compliant is no longer an option and the consequences if we catch up with you will be surely regrettable. This is not an empty threat just ask transporters and smugglers in the last two weeks who have lost trucks and goods since we started the forfeiture without penalties. We are no longer prosecuting or fining them, instead we are simply seizing and forfeiting their goods and the trucks being used in smuggling. We are also blacklisting the clearing agents that are involved in such activities. So clearly therefore, it is cheaper to be tax compliant than to be caught evading tax,” said Chanda.
“I would like to urge all Zambians to take advantage of this Amnesty because we are giving them a chance to start on a new page in terms of their tax accounts. ZRA has an institution has a human face to everything it does and this clearly is demonstrated by our passion to serve the Zambian people who are the reason for our existence.”
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Those who don’t recognise my presidency are insane – Lungu - 23 Jan 2018
- Kalaba has a big Brian, we want him – NDC - 23 Jan 2018
- Lungu plans to poison me using state agents – Kambwili - 23 Jan 2018
- Lungu’s theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer – HH - 23 Jan 2018
- Govt reluctance to fund FIC unbelievable – Mulongoti - 22 Jan 2018
- Lungu's theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer - HH
- PF cadres attack Kambwili's supporters at Central Police
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves
- Serial adjournments in Lungu's eligibility case irk ConCourt
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «January 2018»
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend