- by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jan 2018by Joseph Mwenda on 24 Jan 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 24 Jan 2018
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Jan 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 19 Jan 2018
- by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 24 Jan 2018by Diggers Reporter on 23 Jan 2018by Mukosha Funga on 23 Jan 2018
- Editor's Choice
- by Felix Kashweka on 13 Jan 2018by Diggers Admin on 11 Jan 2018by Tenson Mkhala on 6 Jan 2018by Felix Kashweka on 31 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 22 Jan 2018by Dr Charles Sinkala on 22 Jan 2018by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 22 Jan 2018by Nachilala Nkombo on 20 Jan 2018
Paying Road Tax in Zambia is a hustle – CTPDBy Mirriam Chabala on 6 Jan 2018
Centre for Trade Policy and Development (CTPD) executive director Isaac Mwaipopo has observed that some processes of paying tax to the Zambia Revenue Authority (ZRA) remain too cumbersome and frustrating to clients.
And Mwaipopo regrets that tax paying in Zambia is not as easy is should be because Zambian tax payers are still subjected to unnecessary bureaucracies like cues among other things which he said can create an environment that might lead to bad vices such as corruption among tax payers who would not want to spend a lot of time cuing up just to pay tax.
Commenting on the long queues that most tax payers especially motorists have been experiencing since Tuesday, Mwaipopo advised government through ZRA to implement measures that would make the payment of tax a lot simpler and convenient for everyone.
“The Center for Trade Policy and Development would like to urge the Zambia Revenue Authority to expedite the process of implementing measures that are aimed at enhancing tax collection. We appreciate on one hand that the institution has continued to report that it is actually collecting taxes beyond the targets that have been set. We think that the institution can actually do much more. We have continued to observe that the paying of certain taxes such as Road Tax is actually still quite cumbersome, there are a number of road users and citizens that have actually raised concerns that they would have to stand for as long as three to four hours in some of the pay-points, just for them to pay the tax,” Mwaipopo said.
He said paying tax was not supposed to frustrate people.
“This is not supposed to be the case and we think that paying of tax should actually be very easy and very convenient. It shouldn’t be something that should be very frustrating for the citizens as it might end up creating an environment that might lead to bad vices such as corruption; as many road users might not want to spend a lot of time queuing up just to pay tax. It is very important that measures are put in place so that we create an environment where paying of such taxes is more simplified,” said Mwaipopo.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Those who don’t recognise my presidency are insane – Lungu - 23 Jan 2018
- Kalaba has a big Brian, we want him – NDC - 23 Jan 2018
- Lungu plans to poison me using state agents – Kambwili - 23 Jan 2018
- Lungu’s theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer – HH - 23 Jan 2018
- Govt reluctance to fund FIC unbelievable – Mulongoti - 22 Jan 2018
- Lungu's theft not new; he started stealing as a lawyer - HH
- PF cadres attack Kambwili's supporters at Central Police
- Miyanda asks ConCourt to declare that Lungu breached Constitution by threatening judges
- Nawakwi wonders how Antonio will switch from calling PF thieves
- Serial adjournments in Lungu's eligibility case irk ConCourt
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «January 2018»
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend