by Thomas Mulenga in Chipata on 18 May 2019by Mukosha Funga on 18 May 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 17 May 2019by Thomas Mulenga on 17 May 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 May 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 May 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 May 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 May 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 May 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 May 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 May 2019by Thomas Mulenga on 16 May 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Jan 2019
by Diggers Editor on 18 May 2019by Diggers Editor on 17 May 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 May 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 May 2019
by Sampa Kabwela on 18 May 2019by Felix Kashweka on 16 May 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 26 Apr 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 23 Apr 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Dr Munyonzwe Hamalengwa on 19 May 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 16 May 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 15 May 2019by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 12 May 2019
Govt permits 3 firms to import GMOsBy Diggers Reporter on 6 Dec 2018
The National Biosafety Authority (NBA) has granted three distributors permits to import products that may contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
The three companies are Cold Chain, Horizon and Innscor who were among 12 retailers, wholesalers and distributors that applied for new and renewal permits.
At a media briefing, Thursday, NBA chief executive officer Lackson Tonga said the decision was arrived at after a risk assessment was conducted by the scientific advisory committee.
He said the committee recommended to the board for permits and assured citizens that the various products were safe for humans, animals and the environment.
He explained that of the permits granted, a named distributor would import about 80 percent of the products that they initially applied for, while the other 20 percent had been rejected.
Tonga said this was because they may contain genetically modified soyabean product, which is believed to have been made through newly developed technologies which are not covered by the Biosafety Act.
He said the authority had continued its spot and compliance checks and during the operations one distributor and four retailers have been asked to remove all the Genetically modified products from the shelves.
But in a statement on Wednesday, Zambia National Farmers’ Union president Jervis Zimba condemned ongoing manoeuvres by some quasi-government institutions to re-introduce GMOs into the country.
Zimba revealed that the Union was aware of the manoeuvres being propagated by some quasi-government institutions, but warned against re-introducing the GMOs as it will have devastating consequences on the local market.
“ZNFU is aware of manoeuvres by certain quasi-government authorities that are trying to propagate the importation of Genetically Engineered Foods into the country. These authorities are trying to scheme ways of legitimising Genetically Modified Foods in the country at the expense of what we have safeguarded for years,” stated Zimba.
About Diggers Reporter
- PAC proposes non-partisan movement to defend Constitution - 17 May 2019
- Lubinda extends NDF by three days - 8 May 2019
- Sishuwa to give keynote address at renowned UCT event - 1 May 2019
- SA’s international relations minister to meet SADC ambassadors over xenophobic attacks - 1 Apr 2019
- Mushimba graduates with PhD in Engineering - 4 Mar 2019
Subscribe for email alerts
ArchivesJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend