- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Govt need to narrow the gap between austerity pronouncements and action – Ng’anduBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Jul 2019
Newly appointed Finance Minister Dr Bwalya Ng’andu says there is need for government to narrow the gap between the austerity measures announced and the action taken.
Speaking when he held his first senior management visioning meeting with his staff at the Ministry in Lusaka, Tuesday, Dr Ng’andu said Zambia’s challenge is that in the past few years, there has been agreed measures to be taken to streamline expenditure, but no action was actually taken.
He stressed the need for government to narrow the gap between the commitments made in the implementation of austerity measures.
“The current challenge is that we have agreed on measures over the last few years but we need to step-up on our action,” Ministry of Finance Spokesperson Chileshe Kandeta quoted Dr Ng’andu as saying.
Dr Ng’andu added that there was need for government to restore fiscal fitness by taking a more granular approach in identifying the specific actions that needed to be taken to achieve sustainable economic growth.
And Dr Ng’andu further called on his staff to take a more professional approach towards finance and economic management.
He outlined three success factors to the economy as effective expenditure control, debt management, and enhanced domestic resource mobilisation.
Later, Dr Ng’andu was sworn-in as member of parliament by Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini.
The development, however, raised eyebrows among critics who accused President Edgar Lungu of swearing in a nominated member of Parliament before he was ordained a lawmaker.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- K1,500 surcharge for CBU students a fundraising venture – Kabwita - 12 Aug 2019
- PF has opened overnight street vending along Lusaka’s Lumumba Rd – Moonga - 12 Aug 2019
- Oasis Forum calls for withdrawal of Constitution bill - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs about US $660bn annually to achieve SDGs – UNCA - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs home-grown solutions for its challenges – Lungu - 8 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,606 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,575 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,352 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,664 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,365 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend