- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Govt need to narrow the gap between austerity pronouncements and action – Ng’anduBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Jul 2019
Newly appointed Finance Minister Dr Bwalya Ng’andu says there is need for government to narrow the gap between the austerity measures announced and the action taken.
Speaking when he held his first senior management visioning meeting with his staff at the Ministry in Lusaka, Tuesday, Dr Ng’andu said Zambia’s challenge is that in the past few years, there has been agreed measures to be taken to streamline expenditure, but no action was actually taken.
He stressed the need for government to narrow the gap between the commitments made in the implementation of austerity measures.
“The current challenge is that we have agreed on measures over the last few years but we need to step-up on our action,” Ministry of Finance Spokesperson Chileshe Kandeta quoted Dr Ng’andu as saying.
Dr Ng’andu added that there was need for government to restore fiscal fitness by taking a more granular approach in identifying the specific actions that needed to be taken to achieve sustainable economic growth.
And Dr Ng’andu further called on his staff to take a more professional approach towards finance and economic management.
He outlined three success factors to the economy as effective expenditure control, debt management, and enhanced domestic resource mobilisation.
Later, Dr Ng’andu was sworn-in as member of parliament by Speaker of the National Assembly Dr Patrick Matibini.
The development, however, raised eyebrows among critics who accused President Edgar Lungu of swearing in a nominated member of Parliament before he was ordained a lawmaker.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- I’ll continue harassing those who buy mealie meal in bulk, vows Lusambo - 17 Mar 2020
- Govt hasn’t failed to manage public universities, claims Mushimba - 28 Feb 2020
- Kambwili condemns Dora for justifying extrajudicial killings - 28 Feb 2020
- Funds for projects were diverted to disasters, Wina tells Parley - 27 Feb 2020
- Our salaries have been gassed, laments UNZA workers as they down tools - 27 Feb 2020
- Zambia's COVID-19 cases jump to 35 (24,299 views)
- Let’s sympathise with Lungu and help him, or we will all perish! (13,284 views)
- High Court keeps Spax in jail (7,844 views)
- COVID-19 cases rise to 29 (7,033 views)
- Cabinet debates total lockdown (5,049 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «March 2020»
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend