by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Magistrate defers HH treason ruling to next weekBy Diggers Correspondent on 15 May 2017
Magistrate David Simusamba today rebuked police officers who seized vehicles at HH’s house and ordered them to release the properties within two hours, but again reserved his ruling in the treason case to Monday 22 May 2017.
Acting police superintendent Arthur Shonga, 44, was summoned to give cause why he should not be cited for contempt after he defied a court instruction, ordering him to returning the properties which were seized without a seizure notice.
When magistrate Simusamba asked if he was served with the court order, Shonga responded in the affirmative.
Shonga: Yes I was served with a court order on 9th May.
Magistrate: What was it directing you to do?
Shonga: To release the vehicles
Magistrate: Did you oblige?
Shonga: We started the process but I advised the people who brought the order to come with introductory letters.
Magistrate: Did you consult the CPC (Criminal Procedure Code)? Give me one reason why I shouldn’t cite you for contempt. Where’s the other one to whom the order was served?
(Mbita Mpazi walks to the bar…)
Mbita: We complied with the order
Magistrate: How? Has the property been returned? Why is it still with the police? What process are you following? Why should I not indict them for contempt?
State: Your Honor the ownership was not verified.
Magistrate: The section under which I made the ruling was very clear.
State: There was a misunderstanding…
Defense: I am begging the courts indulgence. My learned colleague seems to be delving into very dangerous grounds of wanting to testify on behalf of the two officers who are before this court.
Magistrate: You didn’t issue any seizure notices and Mr Mwewa has spoken on your behalf that you did not follow any procedure so I am giving you two hours in which to comply, failure to which I will indict you for contempt.
Magistrate Simusamba then announced that his ruling in treason case would be on the 22nd of May, next week Monday.
After the court rose, UPND supporters continued with their jubilation and HH flew flying kisses as he returned to Lusaka Central Prison.
About Diggers Correspondent
The Diggers Correspondent is a versatile writer.
- Xenophobic Attacks and Failure of National Politics in South Africa - 16 Sep 2019
- Court finds PF member with case to answer for assaulting Chipata journalist - 16 Sep 2019
- Sichalwe advises chiefs not to rush to court for succession wrangles - 12 Sep 2019
- I forced him to suck my penis only once, admits step father - 11 Sep 2019
- Hunger or No Hunger: Two Wrongs don’t make Right - 7 Sep 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (3,200 views)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (2,002 views)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,727 view)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (1,690 view)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (1,086 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend