- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
HH insists: DPP shouldn’t takeover contempt case against SumailiBy Diggers Reporter on 28 Jun 2017
Hakainde Hichilema’s lawyers have insisted that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) should not take over his contempt case against Religious Affairs Minister Reverend Godfridah Sumaili.
HH wants the court to cite Rev Sumaili for contempt because of her remarks that “Hichilema pushed [President Edgar] Lungu to the wall by not accepting his presidency”.
When the matter came up before magistrate Ireen Wishimanga today, there was consent to adjourn it but Deputy Chief State advocate Miriam Bah Matandala rose to reaffirm the DPP’s position to take over the case arguing that there was no law which allowed the defense to oppose to the takeover.
“By virtue of the notice of takeover filed in court we are part of the case we are reaffirming position of the takeover let all parties clearly know about it in that regard we are part of these proceedings,” said Matandala
But one of Hichilema’s lawyers, Jack Mwimbu, objected to Matandala’s submission saying his colleague Keith Mweemba was still on the floor stating reasons why the takeover should be rejected.
Magistrate Wishimanga then adjourned the case to July 12, 2017 by consent of all the parties involved as other lawyers who were part of this case were at the Constitutional Court.
Meanwhile, Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia executive director Pukuta Mwanza was among the people who turned up to show solidarity to Rev Sumaili today.
When Rev Simaili entered courtroom, Rev Mwanza stood up to greet her as she smiled in amusement.
And several prison warders were in court to shield Hichilema from interacting with his supporters.
About Diggers Reporter
The Diggers Reporter brings you all the latest news.
- Castle Lager postpones 2020 Africa 5s due to COVID-19 - 27 Mar 2020
- Police nab ‘Spax’ for murder - 2 Mar 2020
- Mazabuka mob drags suspect out of hospital, kills him - 20 Feb 2020
- Cops sustain injuries in N/West riots - 1 Feb 2020
- Vedanta warns Milingo against defying court order, selling mine assets - 29 Jan 2020
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us? (12,519 views)
- I am under quarantine, but fine - Davies Chama (4,478 views)
- Kampyongo says accusing him of being in quarantine is like alleging that Diggers editor is HIV positive (4,078 views)
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown? (3,404 views)
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu (3,300 views)
- Govt will start distributing free masks – Chilufya
- Absa re-opens Centro Mall branch
- Kampyongo, Ng’andu released from quarantine after testing negative to COVID-19 – Chilufya
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Kampyongo says accusing him of being in quarantine is like alleging that Diggers editor is HIV positive
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
[search_popup]Send this to a friend