- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Nyambe Lubasi on 20 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 18 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 17 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 15 Nov 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Woman gets 5 years for burning step-daughter over bed wettingBy Diggers Reporter on 12 Sep 2017
Lusaka magistrate Alice Walusiku has sentenced a 36-year-old woman to five years simple imprisonment for burning her 9-year-old step daughter on the buttocks for urinating on the bed.
When the matter came up for plea today Elizabeth Phiri readily admitted the charge of child assault.
She told the court that she burnt her step daughter because she was upset that the girl didn’t comply with her orders to change her clothes after wetting the bed.
Magistrate Walusiku described the convict as an evil woman who needed to be taken away from society so that the children at home could have a breather.
In her judgement, the magistrate wondered why the convict burnt the child over trivial matters which could have been resolved by way of talking.
Magistrate Walusiku said she would be failing in her duties if she didn’t punish Phiri so that other step mothers and biological parents in the habit of mistreating children could learn a lesson.
She regretted that cases of women brutalizing their step children had become so rampant in our communities.
Earlier, in mitigation, the convict asked for leniency as she didn’t know what she was doing.
She further said that she was pregnant and that she had a duty of taking care of her disabled child.
Facts before the court were that on June 3, 2017 Phiri assaulted her step daughter thereby occasioning her actual bodily harm for urinating on the bed.
The victim was burnt on her left buttock with a pressing iron after her step mother called her in the bedroom to ask her why she had not changed her clothes.
After assaulting the girl, her step mother then sent her to wash the blankets.
And the victim’s father only learnt of the incident after the girl failed to sit down when he wanted to talk to her.
Phiri then started cleaning the sore.
And according to neighbors who reported the case of child abuse to the police, this was not the first time the girl was being abused.
About Diggers Reporter
- Mboozi’s absence from court forces magistrate to consider acquitting Nchima Nchito - 20 Nov 2017
- Magistrate commits Precious’ lover to the High Court - 20 Nov 2017
- Lungu to attend SADC meeting on Zim crisis - 20 Nov 2017
- Mumba Yachi’s stay in Zambia poses a danger to society – Immigration - 15 Nov 2017
- Chibamba clarifies his “offshore” remarks quoted by Lusaka Times - 15 Nov 2017
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- When we takeover govt mukanya ba pompwe, Kambwili warns PF
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- PAC sends away ministry auditor for improper dressing
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend