- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Journalist drags sales assistant to court for ‘losing’ K28,000 through black magicBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Mar 2019
A journalist has told the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that a sales assistant at his MTN Mobile Money booth who allegedly stole his K28,000, claimed he lost the said money through black magic.
In this matter, Benny Kalonga, unemployed, of Kalingalinga Compound is charged with theft by servant.
Particulars of the offence are that on January 31, 2019 in Lusaka, Kalonga, whilst employed as sales man at an MTN booth, stole K28,000 for his employer, Ceaser Masina.
And when the matter came up for plea before Magistrate Victoria Chitulangoma, Thursday, Kalonga denied the charge.
The State then called it’s first witness, the complainant in the matter, Ceaser Masina who is a journalist and also owner of an MTN booth.
Masina, 57, told the court that he employed the accused person as his sales assistant at the booth in October, last year.
He testified that on January 31, this year, Kalonga called him around 10:00 hours, telling him to go to the booth as money amounting to K28,000 was missing.
“He called me around 10:00 hours that something had happened at the shop and there was a loss of funds amounting to K28,000,” Masina said.
He said he then drove directly to Central Police as the booth was located near that area.
Masina said when he reached the police station, the police asked him to tell the accused person to report to the Police station.
He said once Kalonga was there, the police asked him if the booth had been broken into and he said it was not.
Masina said when he was further asked how the money was stolen, Kalonga claimed it was through black magic.
He said when the police went to check whether the locks to the booth had been tempered with, it was discovered that they were intact.
“The police asked how the money could have been stolen and he said it could have been through black magic. [And] he insisted it was black magic. Then the police said ‘let’s go and establish the locking system if it had been tempered with’,” he said.
“He is the only one who has the key to the drawer where cash was kept. The locks to the booth were intact and not tempered with. The drawer as well was not tempered with. The police adviced that they will hold on to the accused person maybe he will give them a different story than what he had said earlier.”
Masina told the court that Kalonga had the K28,000, which he claimed was stolen, more than three weeks earlier.
“The K28,000 was cash. As the employer, I was only owing him one salary for that particular month (January),” he said.
Masina said from the missing K28,000, nothing was recovered.
He added that the other monies which were in the booth were still there.
“In the same drawer where the money got stolen, my son had left some money, K4,920 which was still intact and there was K435 from talktime sales it’s still available. Only the K28,000 is missing,” he said.
The matter has been adjourned to March 29 for continued trial.
The accused person is on police bond.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Ex court official gets 7 years for obtaining money by false pretences - 6 Apr 2020
- Topstar wants to help PF’s continued stay in power, insists Kalaba - 6 Apr 2020
- Mambwe’s idiots remarks were demeaning, UNZA tells court - 3 Apr 2020
- Businessman convicted for stealing 36,000 litres of TAZAMA diesel - 3 Apr 2020
- It’s pretty much premature to shut down Zambia – IRMZA - 3 Apr 2020
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya (6,758 views)
- UPND blames Nangula loss on COVID-19 (4,156 views)
- It’s inhuman for Chanda to undermine HH’s donation of soap, sanitisers – UPND (3,753 views)
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects? (3,236 views)
- Kampyongo's mockery of people on ARVs unacceptable - NAC (2,993 views)
- We’re considering asking landlords to forego rentals amid COVID-19 – Siliya
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Is Kampyongo suggesting that slim people, like his appointing authority are HIV suspects?
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu
- Introduce SI to stop landlords from collecting rentals, Changala urges govt
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- UNZA owes over K621m in terminal benefits, gratuities – Audit
- BoZ’s K10bn cash injection insufficient to jump-start economy, says Kanyama
- LAZ postpones elections
- We’ve no reason to falsify COVID-19 statistics – Chilufya
- There’re no human rights now, we just beat – Lusambo
- Govt warns of stern action if Mopani goes ahead with planned shut down of its mines
- COVID-19 convolvulus pandemic must be nipped in the bud – Mpombo
- AG institutes probe into alleged abuse of funds at City Market
- Tax audit of media houses may benefit industry – ZRA
- PF must urgently resolve Lungu’s 2021 eligibility to avoid chaos, urges AVAP
- Jailing of PF cadre who assaulted journalist elates MISA, FPI
- ADVERT: Consultancy Research on the effectiveness of social media as a tool of opening up spaces for women leaders’ participation in Zambia.
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
[search_popup]Send this to a friend