- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
SA High Court rejects ZCCM’s arbitration appeal with costsBy Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
The South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg has denied ZCCM Investment Holdings leave to appeal against its judgement where it ordered the said company to withdraw the winding-up proceedings against Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) in the Lusaka High Court, pending final determination of the arbitration.
On July 23, the South Gauteng High Court granted Vedanta Resources Holdings Limited an urgent interim injunction against ZCCM-IH and KCM provisional liquidator, Milingo Lungu.
Gauteng High Court judge, L R Adams granted Vedanta leave to move the application as one of urgency and further declared that ZCCM-IH had breached and continues to breach the Shareholders’ Agreement through the institution of the winding-up proceedings against KCM in the Lusaka High Court.
He directed ZCCM-IH to immediately withdraw the winding-up proceedings, pending final determination of the arbitration and further ordered ZCCM-IH to restrain from taking any further steps in the furtherance and prosecution of the winding-up proceedings and to further restrain from instituting any winding-up application against KCM, pending final determination of the arbitration.
But ZCCM-IH had applied for leave in the said court to appeal against the whole judgement and order.
However, Judge Adams has dismissed ZCCM-IH’s application with costs and further ordered it to pay Vedanta cost of the application, including the cost consequent upon the employment of three counsel, one of whom was a senior counsel.
He stated that an appeal defeated the purpose of the interim order granted on an urgent basis.
“In casu (in this case) the interest of justice does not, in my view, favour appealability. If anything, it is in the interest of justice that leave to appeal be refused. I say so because my order envisages a prompt referral of the disputes between the parties to arbitration, where after time will start running again. Secondly, I granted the order pursuant to an urgent application,” Justice Adams stated.
He added that nothing new had been raised by ZCCM-IH in its application, adding that in his original judgement, he had dealt with most of the issues raised and it was not necessary to repeat those in full.
He stated that he was not persuaded that the issues raised by ZCCM-IH in its application were issues in respect of which another court was likely to reach a different conclusion to those reached by him.
“The appeal does not, in my judgment, have a reasonable prospect of success. Leave to appeal should, therefore, be refused,” ruled judge Adams.
He further removed from the roll, ZCCM-IH’s ‘Conditional Interlocutory Application’ to have declared unconstitutional article 17J (3) of Schedule 1 to the International Arbitration Act, Act 15 of 2017.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Govt failing to target resources to key sectors for economic growth – Saasa - 10 Feb 2020
- High Court refuses to stay defamation proceedings against Fresher Siwale - 11 Nov 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 11 Sep 2019
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe - 11 Sep 2019
- Lungu must address debt, loadshedding, mealie meal prices in Parley address – CSPR - 10 Sep 2019
- Lungu ill advised, no wonder Kingsland injunction has embarrassed him – Harrington (8,532 views)
- An opposition party is causing confusion in the country - Kampyongo (8,293 views)
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus (7,928 views)
- Disband Religion Ministry, Sumaili's actions border on lawlessness (4,065 views)
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG (3,489 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Foreign missions unpaid for upto 4 months, govt says there’s no money
- High Court stays revocation of recognition agreement between UNZALARU, management
- 2021 poll will be a tight race – ECZ
- MMD MPs still studying Bill 10
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge
- Cyber bullying keeps women out of politics, laments WfC
- Deploy cops to man schools vulnerable to gassing – ZNUT
- Court refuses to grant bail to 18 men charged with rioters injuring building
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe – Bowman
- Mushimba’s explanation on delay to pay universities absurd – Miti
- Internet blackout in S/Province suspicious – Katuka
- Africans must stop tolerating corrupt leaders, urges former SA minister
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend