by Julia Malunga on 25 Jan 2020by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 25 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Jan 2020by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Jan 2020
by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Jan 2020by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Jan 2020by Natasha Sakala on 20 Jan 2020by Stuart Lisulo on 20 Jan 2020
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Jan 2020by Daniel Chansa on 23 Jan 2020
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 22 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 14 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 13 Jan 2020
by Diggers Editor on 25 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 23 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 22 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 21 Jan 2020
- Guest Diggers
by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Jan 2020by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 14 Jan 2020by Julius Kapembwa, PhD on 7 Jan 2020by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jan 2020
- Editor's Choice
by Sikonathi Mantshantsha on 11 Jan 2020by Amber Phillips on 19 Dec 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 17 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 17 Jan 2020by Zindikilani Banda in Sinda on 9 Jan 2020by Felix Kashweka on 17 Dec 2019
Apex lecturer countersues sexual harassment accusersBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 3 Dec 2019
A Lusaka Apex University lecturer is counterclaiming damages for defamation of character in the Lusaka High from two female students who accused him of making sexual advances towards them.
Philistone Nyirenda has lamented that the allegations of sexual harassment have exposed him to ridicule, contempt and odium and have lowered his reputation in the estimation of right thinking members of the society.
In this matter, Sandra Mubanga and Carol Saili have sued Nyirenda for allegedly making various sexual advances towards them and promising to make them pass the examinations.
The two claimed that after refusing his sexual requests, Nyirenda, who they said is a lecturer and Head of Laboratory Department at the University, vowed to ensure that they failed the examinations, which actually came to pass.
Mubanga and Saili, both fourth year students in the faculty of Pharmacy at Lusaka Apex Medical University, also sued the institution, seeking a declaration that it had breached its contractual obligation to provide a conducive environment for learning.
But in his defence and counterclaim filed in the Lusaka High Court, November 27, Nyirenda is seeking damages for defamation of character arising from false accusations of sexual harassment and advances.
“The first defendant (Nyirenda) will in his counterclaim aver that the allegations of sexual harassment has exposed the first defendant to ridicule contempt and odium and has lowered the reputation of the first defendant in the estimation of right thinking members of the society,” he lamented.
He is further seeking damages for reputational injury arising from false allegations that he made sure the two students would fail the exams when he had no authority to mark exams and later on influence the outcome, which was a preserve of the Senate.
Nyirenda also wants aggravated damages for mental anguish, costs and any other relief the court may deem fit.
In its defence and counterclaim filed in court, recently, Lusaka Apex University stated that Nyirenda had never been employed by the University as a lecturer or as Head of Laboratory Department.
It also denied each and every allegation by the students and further counter sued the same students, demanding damages for loss of reputation, as well as, an apology and retraction of the false claims.
It lamented that the sexual harassment claims have caused its students and general public to loose confidence in the University and had brought its business into odium and contempt.
And in his defence filed earlier, Nyirenda denied that he was employed as a lecturer by the University.
He stated that he is a scientist who is in the faculty of Science and Head of Department responsible for Technical and Laboratory practicals.
Nyirenda also denied making sexual advances towards the two students, adding that Mubanga and Saili will be put to strict proof in respect of their baseless allegations.
He further stated that at no time did he threaten to fail Mubanga and Saili, arguing that he was not even responsible for marking any of the examination scripts.
Nyirenda stated that the two students failed the examinations because they were simply not ready and cannot blame him for their own lack of preparedness.
He added that they were therefore not entitled to any of the reliefs being sought by them.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Maureen sues Bonanza, Wellcash Debt Recovery over botched loan agreement - 24 Jan 2020
- Court grants Kapepa injunction to restrain senior chief Nsefu from dethroning him as chief Kakumbi - 24 Jan 2020
- ZCCM-IH sues Maamba Collieries over $10m loan advance - 23 Jan 2020
- Lusaka man gets two years for stealing dad’s phones - 23 Jan 2020
- Higer sues Shalom Bus Services for $235,000 debt - 22 Jan 2020
- Ndola woman who forced 3 boys to touch her private parts gets 15 years (6,032 views)
- Challenge me, but if you rock the boat, we’ll throw you out - Lungu (4,733 views)
- Maureen sues Bonanza, Wellcash Debt Recovery over botched loan agreement (2,911 views)
- Sinda residents stole from me instead of helping after my accident, laments Mkaika MP (1,748 view)
- How drug trafficking, wildlife smuggling destroys communities (1,687 view)
- Corruption getting worse in Zambia, we can no longer pretend – TIZ
- Porn addicts fail to function in marriages, says Sumaili
- We mean well with our public discussion forums
- We’re watching ECZ, we won’t wait till they cause chaos in 2021 to take them on – HH
- Chilubanama has to explain disrespect for Lungu – Moonga
- Don't sit ndwii while they tell lies about Bill 10, Lungu tells govt and PF officials
- Challenge me, but if you rock the boat, we’ll throw you out - Lungu
- Who is Linda, Sangwa? We can't withdraw Bill 10 because they say so - Lubinda
- Sinda residents stole from me instead of helping after my accident, laments Mkaika MP
- Chilubanama has to explain disrespect for Lungu - Moonga
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
Send this to a friend