- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
IBA orders DSTV to suspend Lusaka Hustle showBy Thomas Mulenga on 4 Feb 2019
The Independent Broadcasting Authority has ordered DSTV to suspend a reality show dubbed Lusaka Hustle on Zambezi Magic saying it promotes a lifestyle which is contrary to Zambian values.
In a statement, IBA Director General Josephine Mapoma stated that the authority had received too many complaints from members of the public concerning the same.
After the show’s second episode aired on Friday, social media was awash with pictures of Mukuni Godfrey Mulundika, alias Kuni, who had joined his friends Cleo and Thandi at a spar, clad in an outfit which showed off his thighs.
Some netizens attacked Kuni for behaving in a feminine manner and Religious Affairs Minister Reverend Godfridah Sumaili called for the banning of the programme.
“The Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA) has directed Multi Choice Zambia to, with immediate effect, suspend the Lusaka Hustler reality show on Zambezi Magic on the DSTV Platform. This follows public outcries that the Lusaka Hustle reality show promotes a lifestyle contrary to our Zambian values and culture. Further, the Authority has received several comments from the Public concerning the show in question and as such, has directed Multichoice Zambia to withdraw the Lusaka Hustler reality show in Public interest,” Mapoma stated.
“Section 24 (1) of the IBA (Principal) Act, 2002 provides , “All programmes by a Commercial Broadcasting service shall, subject to the conditions of a license and regulations of the Authority –(a) reflect the culture, character, needs and aspirations of the people in the areas that they are licensed to serve.”
And Mapoma asked local creators to produce content which reflected Zambian culture.
“The IBA wishes to further urge producers of local content to produce content that reflects the Zambian culture as well as take into consideration Zambian laws. The Authority would also like to urge Television stations acquiring local content to preview all content to ensure that the local content, both film and musical, is in line with the Zambian culture and suits the needs of all content consumers,” stated Mapoma.
Kuni and his co-stars are yet to comment on the fracas.
About Thomas Mulenga
Thomas Mulenga has a special interest in political news, current affairs, community and education news.
- Registrar of Societies playing foolish politics – NAREP - 31 May 2019
- Lungu committed to delivering health care services – Chilufya - 31 May 2019
- Austerity measures a sham – Kambwili - 31 May 2019
- NAREP opposes cancellation of agricultural shows in 3 provinces - 30 May 2019
- Kang’ombe’s victory in Sesheke petition a lesson to PF – UPND - 30 May 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,550 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,502 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,285 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,620 view)
- Forget the Damn headline, did you get the message? (1,215 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend