- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Sep 2017by Enesi Kaoma on 25 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 25 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 25 Sep 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Tenson Mkhala on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Sep 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 25 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 25 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 24 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 25 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 25 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 24 Sep 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017by Elias Munshya on 18 Sep 2017by President Edgar Lungu on 13 Sep 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
NAC asks govt to make safe abortion accessibleBy Tenson Mkhala on 26 Jan 2017
NATIONAL AIDS Council director John Mwale says government should make it easy for women to access safe abortions.
Speaking when he appeared before the Parliamentary Committee on Sexual Reproduction Health, Mwale said many women were dying because of unsafe abortions.
“There is need for government to look into the 1972 safe abortion Act.It needs to be reviewed because it hinders a lot of young women from accessing it,” Mwale said.
“Currently, we have high numbers of women and girls dying due to unsafe abortion. Our position as NAC is that must government review this Act and make it accessible for girls even in rural areas.”
And Mwale said NAC will not advocate for the distribution of condoms in secondary schools.
“We are not advocating for condoms to be distributed in schools. As an organization, we want to see learners being linked to health facilities in order for them to have maximum knowledge on HIV/AIDS. Our worry is health workers are discriminating learners from accessing health services such as condoms,” he said.
Meanwhile, Mwale revealed that 31.2 per cent of girls aged below 18 were early marriage victims.
“Early marriage continues to be a major challenge among girls below the age of 18. Currently, it is showing that HIV is also high among young girls,” said Mwale.
About Tenson Mkhala
Tenson Mkhala is our resident photo journalist.
Email: tenson [at] diggers [dot] news
- Katongo tips youngsters: Football is a short career, invest - 24 Sep 2017
- Long-awaited fire tenders arrive - 13 Sep 2017
- I told police to add me to the treason case, claims GBM - 17 Aug 2017
- I’m sad that HH is still in prison – Mwaliteta - 8 Aug 2017
- Mwaliteta did not deserve to be in prison – Lawyer - 8 Aug 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «September 2017»
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend