- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 22 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
NAC asks govt to make safe abortion accessibleBy Tenson Mkhala on 26 Jan 2017
NATIONAL AIDS Council director John Mwale says government should make it easy for women to access safe abortions.
Speaking when he appeared before the Parliamentary Committee on Sexual Reproduction Health, Mwale said many women were dying because of unsafe abortions.
“There is need for government to look into the 1972 safe abortion Act.It needs to be reviewed because it hinders a lot of young women from accessing it,” Mwale said.
“Currently, we have high numbers of women and girls dying due to unsafe abortion. Our position as NAC is that must government review this Act and make it accessible for girls even in rural areas.”
And Mwale said NAC will not advocate for the distribution of condoms in secondary schools.
“We are not advocating for condoms to be distributed in schools. As an organization, we want to see learners being linked to health facilities in order for them to have maximum knowledge on HIV/AIDS. Our worry is health workers are discriminating learners from accessing health services such as condoms,” he said.
Meanwhile, Mwale revealed that 31.2 per cent of girls aged below 18 were early marriage victims.
“Early marriage continues to be a major challenge among girls below the age of 18. Currently, it is showing that HIV is also high among young girls,” said Mwale.
About Tenson Mkhala
Tenson Mkhala is our resident photo journalist.
Email: tenson [at] diggers [dot] news
- Zambia’s economic recovery requires increased levels of accountability – EU - 2 Nov 2017
- Respect marriage – KBF - 8 Oct 2017
- We need improved education system for positive change – Msiska - 5 Oct 2017
- Govt improves farmer registration process - 28 Sep 2017
- Zambia’s Karima aims high at Dubai cooking competition - 26 Sep 2017
- FAZ salutes Sikazwe’s 2018 World Cup appointment
- National Parks department explains implications of suspending hunting permits
- Kambwili questions ConCourt’s failure to cite Mwila for contempt
- It’s childish for Kambwili to continue telling lies about Lungu – Chanda
- Pastor seeks to divorce wife of 35 years
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend