- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Pukuta Mwanza blames HichilemaBy Mirriam Chabala on 13 Apr 2017
Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia executive director Reverend Pukuta Mwanza says UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema put President Edgar Lungu’s life and his own at risk in Mongu.
But when asked if he believes HH deserves to be charged with treason for the incident, Rev Mwanza says it is up to the courts to decide.
In an interview, Rev Mwanza said it was common knowledge to give way to a Presidential motorcade.
“The incidence was a very unfortunate action where we could see a private vehicle competing with the Eagle One which was a motorcade carrying the President. I think that was a serious one and it was pausing a risk to the life of the President. It was also endangering other people in that motorcade and for a thing like that; where there was very high speed, obviously the risk on the vehicles is much higher not only the one to be run into but also the ones which could have been driven by the private road users at the time. And so it was a danger not only to the President but also to Hakainde. So if anything very bad happened then it could have also affected the UPND leader because his life was also threatened by that circumstance considering the speed at which his vehicles were moving,” Rev Mwanza said.
“That behaviour was very unfortunate and we think that they should have given way to the Presidential motorcade because anyone knows that if the Presidential motorcade is coming, there are sirens, advance parties of sweepers and the Presidential security and all those people provide an early alarm that the President is coming and so giving way to the President is a natural road traffic rule that. We all know that when on the road, you have to give way to the Presidential motorcade as well as the ambulances and the fire brigade, so those things are natural instincts kind of reaction that we should all provide.”
He said it was strange for the opposition leader and his members to claim that they did not notice the Presidential motorcade when there were police vehicles which preceded it.
“Well then, that is very strange because in the footage that we have seen in the media, we could see that there were security cars that were seen ahead of the Eagle One. So if a person said they didn’t see it then that is very strange because even if there are no sweepers, you can actually see using the rear view mirror that is why those mirrors are there to enable someone to see what is coming behind them,” Rev Mwanza said.
But when asked if he believes HH deserved to be charged with treason, Rev Mwanza said; “That is up to the law enforcement and courts to decide. I cannot comment on it.”
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,550 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,498 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,282 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,619 view)
- Forget the Damn headline, did you get the message? (1,215 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend