- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
UPND demands medical treatment for HHBy Mirriam Chabala on 13 Apr 2017
UPND vice-president Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba says Hakainde Hichilema must be released from detention so that he can seek medical attention.
And GBM has called for the resignation of Inspector General of Police Kakoma Kanganja and Home Affairs Minister Stephen Kampyongo for allowing President Edgar Lungu to roll down his bulletproof-car window in Mongu.
Meanwhile, UPND spokesperson Charles Kakoma has lamented that police are denying lawyers access to HH, demanding that they get visitation permits from Police Headquarters in Lusaka.
At a media briefing this morning, GBM announced that HH’s face was distorted and swollen because police officers used harmful gas to torture him during the midnight raid at his house.
“The UPND warns Edgar Lungu and his entire Government that should anything happen to our leader Hakainde Hichilema in Prison, they will bear the full consequences of their actions because the gas which police officers used on HH was not a standard gas and it damaged his face. His face is swollen and his skin changed, therefore he needs instant medical attention,” GBM said.
“So we would like Edgar Lungu to release Hakainde Hichilema so that he can be attended to by medical personnel, he is not feeling well. We are concerned over HH’s health and we demand that he is given medical care to clear the suspicions of poisoning by the police.”
He wondered why police raided HH’s house without a search warrant.
“Those officers did not have a search warrant and the police denied HH’s lawyers access to the house. This is a clear violation of HH’s rights to legal representation. Moreover, in today’s treason charge, Hakainde Hichilema was not interviewed nor was he given a warn and caution, neither were his lawyers given an opportunity to question the charges, they didn’t follow the Procedure. So as far as we are concerned in UPND, this has obviously nothing to do with treason, it is a politically motivated charge,” Mwamba said.
And Mwamba insisted that the Inspector general of Police and the Home Affairs Minister needed to resign because they were incompetent.
“I have moved with several Heads of State before and I have never seen a President who opens a window for himself. In fact, the security officers who were there when Edgar Lungu rolled down his window must be fired immediately. The IG must be fired for allowing the President to move with an open window. Even Stephen Kamyongo should be fired because that was a serious security breach. I have never seen, these guys are playing with the Presidency. How do you allow the President to be moving with a window open?” wondered GBM.
Meanwhile, Kakoma said police in Lilayi turned away HH’s lawyers today because they did not have a police permit to meet him.
“We had lawyers who went to visit President Hichilema this afternoon but the authorities in Lilayi denied them access to see him, saying they needed a permit from the Police Headquarters. This is a violation of the laws of Zambia and individual rights of detainees who should be allowed to have a lawyer visiting them or accessing them,” said Kakoma.
But police spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo dismissed the allegations saying HH’s visits were simply being regulated.
“We have not denied Lawyers and Mr Hichilema’s members of the family to visit him because access to Lawyers is his Constitutional right. We are just regulating visits. Even in Hospitals visitations are regulated,” said Katongo.
And Mazabuka Central member of parliament Garry Nkombo said there was no leadership vacuum in the UPND and dismissed reports that GBM was poised to take over the party presidency, as reported by the Daily Nation Newspaper today.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- ZICTA confiscates transmitter for a Choma community radio station - 19 Oct 2017
- ERB too quick at hiking prices, slow on reducing – CUTS - 18 Oct 2017
- National Day of Prayer has divided the nation – Kabimba - 18 Oct 2017
- Promise to stop stealing before inviting us for prayers, HH tells PF - 18 Oct 2017
- Mwila reserves party position on calls for Mulusa’s dismissal - 17 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- MP pins Mabumba on low fuel prices during elections
- Come in numbers, Kanyama rally is on - GBM
- Until Jesus comes, UPND will never produce a President - Mwila
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend