- by Thomas Mulenga on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 18 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Joseph Mwenda on 18 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
State of emergency will confirm lack of democracy – SondashiBy Mirriam Chabala on 28 Apr 2017
Forum for Democratic Alternatives (FDA) president Ludwig Sondashi says declaring a state of emergency will only confirm that there’s no democracy in Zambia.
Sondashi who is also former Minister of Justice says attacks on Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) president Linda Kasonde are unnecessary.
In an interview, Dr Sondashi noted that the country’s political landscape was worrying but said it was not compelling enough for President Edgar Lungu to threaten declaring a state of emergency.
“The consequences if he [President Lungu] declares a state of emergency, then that will bring Zambia down and people will think that there is no democracy in this country when in fact democracy is there. In any case, what is there to constitute a state of emergency? What is it that has happened that the country should be declared a state of emergency? I don’t see any reason for certain things like a state of emergency because there is no reason why there should a state of emergency in this country,” Dr Sondashi said.
He advised the Patriotic Front to maintain the good reputation previous governments had worked hard to build.
“The political situation in the country is not good for democracy to thrive and because of that, economic advancement can not be ensured. You see, what has taken Zambia above to the extent where it has reached now economically, where even people from the international community are regarding Zambia as a peaceful country and an economically stable one, is what previous governments have so far done and it should be maintained that way. I am therefore asking the government to maintain that trend in order to preserve Zambia,” Dr Sondashi said.
And Dr Sondashi condemned attacks on LAZ and the forceful calls for the resignation of its president.
“As a Constitutional Lawyer and as a former Minister of Justice who served in government for a long period of time, I think the threats on LAZ are uncalled for. There is no need for cadres to be told to go and demonstrate at LAZ or to even align members of LAZ to state a motion that president Linda Kasonde must resign because there are regular membership changes which the association allows where it chooses it’s leaders, so they should allow that to take place. The Law Association of Zambia is an independent body and it should be allowed to operate without interference,” said Dr Sondashi.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mandatory HIV testing unconstitutional – PeP - 17 Aug 2017
- Ndola Police stop “HH freedom” celebrations - 17 Aug 2017
- Compulsory HIV testing is against human rights – FDD - 16 Aug 2017
- Lufwanyama toasts PF empowerment - 15 Aug 2017
- Fishing ban too short to allow breeding – Chilangwa - 15 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend