- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
State of emergency will confirm lack of democracy – SondashiBy Mirriam Chabala on 28 Apr 2017
Forum for Democratic Alternatives (FDA) president Ludwig Sondashi says declaring a state of emergency will only confirm that there’s no democracy in Zambia.
Sondashi who is also former Minister of Justice says attacks on Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) president Linda Kasonde are unnecessary.
In an interview, Dr Sondashi noted that the country’s political landscape was worrying but said it was not compelling enough for President Edgar Lungu to threaten declaring a state of emergency.
“The consequences if he [President Lungu] declares a state of emergency, then that will bring Zambia down and people will think that there is no democracy in this country when in fact democracy is there. In any case, what is there to constitute a state of emergency? What is it that has happened that the country should be declared a state of emergency? I don’t see any reason for certain things like a state of emergency because there is no reason why there should a state of emergency in this country,” Dr Sondashi said.
He advised the Patriotic Front to maintain the good reputation previous governments had worked hard to build.
“The political situation in the country is not good for democracy to thrive and because of that, economic advancement can not be ensured. You see, what has taken Zambia above to the extent where it has reached now economically, where even people from the international community are regarding Zambia as a peaceful country and an economically stable one, is what previous governments have so far done and it should be maintained that way. I am therefore asking the government to maintain that trend in order to preserve Zambia,” Dr Sondashi said.
And Dr Sondashi condemned attacks on LAZ and the forceful calls for the resignation of its president.
“As a Constitutional Lawyer and as a former Minister of Justice who served in government for a long period of time, I think the threats on LAZ are uncalled for. There is no need for cadres to be told to go and demonstrate at LAZ or to even align members of LAZ to state a motion that president Linda Kasonde must resign because there are regular membership changes which the association allows where it chooses it’s leaders, so they should allow that to take place. The Law Association of Zambia is an independent body and it should be allowed to operate without interference,” said Dr Sondashi.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,449 view)
- Nondo's defection shocks NAREP (1,052 view)
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (919 views)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (884 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (789 views)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend