- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 14 Aug 2017
- by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Charles Mafa on 15 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
Show your Christianity by visiting HH in jail, PeP tells LunguBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 7 Jun 2017
Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP) president Sean Tembo says President Edgar Lungu should demonstrate his true Christianity by visiting treason accused Hakainde Hichilema in prison.
In a statement today, Tembo observed that political rivals were not enemies and as such, the Head of State should demonstrate the true values of a Christian Nation by visiting HH.
“As Patriots for Economic Progress, we have noted with regret that ever since Mr Hakainde Hichilema was incarcerated about two months ago on alleged treason charges, President Edgar Lungu has to date not yet visited Mr Hichilema in prison. It is for this reason that we would like President Lungu to take some time out of his busy schedule to go and pay a visit to Mr Hichilema at Lusaka Central prison in his personal capacity. It is worth noting that as a Christian nation, we are merely political rivals and not enemies,” Tembo said.
“We wish to further emphasize that true Christianity is founded on compassion, and brotherliness towards one another. In the absence of these basic attributes of compassion and love for one another, it is difficult to justify the claim of being a Christian even if one pioneered the establishment of a Ministry of Religion or the construction of a National Tabernacle of Prayer.”
Tembo said by staying away from visiting HH in prison, President Lungu was giving an impression that he was his enemy.
“By staying away from visiting Mr Hichilema in prison, President Lungu is giving an impression that Mr Hichilema is his enemy. As Patriots for Economic Progress, it is our strong belief that if President Lungu decided to visit Mr Hichilema in prison, such a gesture cannot amount to interfering with the dual process of the law,” he said.
Tembo also said visiting HH would prove that the charges against him were not politically motivated.
“As Patriots for Economic Progress, we are hopeful that President Edgar Lungu will demonstrate that the treason charge against Mr Hakainde Hichilema is not politically motivated and an abuse of state institutions to settle political scores. One way of demonstrating that is by President Lungu visiting Mr Hichilema in prison and offering any assistance to his family in his time of need. As PeP, we believe that the history of this country is reprint with the examples of compassion and love between political rivals. A case in point is the incident that took place when then opposition leader Mr Michael Sata was quickly evacuated to South Africa for medical attention by then president Levy Mwanawasa despite their political rivalry that existed between the two men. This event demonstrated that despite our political differences, we are first and foremost citizenry brothers before we are political opponents. We look forward to a timely gesture from President Lungu in this regard,” said Tembo.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube is a Zambian journalist with a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- HH release in public interest – Scotland - 16 Aug 2017
- Revisit policy on compulsory HIV testing, HRC urges govt - 16 Aug 2017
- DPP entered nolle to hide State’s crimes against Hichilema and his co-accused – Wynter - 16 Aug 2017
- Zambia’s embassy in S/Africa says SADC is impressed with Zambia’s democracy - 15 Aug 2017
- All patients to undergo compulsory HIV testing in Zambia, declares President - 15 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend