- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Nyambe Lubasi on 20 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 18 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 17 Nov 2017by Nyambe Lubasi on 15 Nov 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 17 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
HH is allowed three visitors at a time – ChatoBy Joseph Mwenda on 11 Jun 2017
Zambia Correction Service Commissioner General Percy Chato says UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema is allowed to meet three visitors at any given time.
And Chato has explained that UPND officials were not allowed to see Hichilema yesterday because Saturday was not a visiting day at Kabwe’s Mukobeko Maximum Prison.
In an exclusive interview with News Diggers!, Chato said the Correctional Service respected the principle of the inherent dignity of humans as well as the safety of accused person, and as such, it had no plans to infringe upon the visitation rights of Hichilema and his co-accused.
“We are not infringing upon the visitation rights of all the accused person. All visits are conducted as per rules contained in Rule 132 (1) and (2) of the Prison Act (CAP 97 of the Laws of Zambia) i.e. “No prisoner shall be allowed more than three visitors at any one time and All visits to prisoner shall take place during such hours as the officer in charge may direct…” Chato explained.
He said Kabwe Maximum Security Prison only allows visits on Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays.
“As a Service we operate by a system of laws and procedures. Visits to Kabwe Maximum Security of the accused persons by their family and friends shall take place on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 to 11:40h and from 14 to 15:40h to enable us conduct midday lockup and final lock up respectively,” he explained.
He added that since Hichilema was not yet convicted, his wife Mutinta was allowed to visit him on a Saturday and she managed to take food inside the maximum prison facility.
“Some party officials and Chiefs were not permitted to visit yesterday because Saturday was not a visiting day. However, HH’s wife was permitted to bring food to the accused person because HH as an unconvicted prisoner has been permitted to maintain himself or to receive from private sources at proper hours, food or other necessaries in accordance to Rule 87 of the Prison Act,” said Chato.
“As a Service we respect the principles of the inherent dignity of human persons and ensure that the safety of the accused persons is guaranteed.”
Meanwhile, a horde of UPND members of parliament is camped outside the gate at Mukobeko Maximum Prison in Kabwe where they are trying to negotiate passage with the prison authorities.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- When we takeover govt mukanya ba pompwe, Kambwili warns PF - 18 Nov 2017
- Lungu is concerned with Zim situation - 17 Nov 2017
- Lungu recalls drunk, disloyal diplomats - 15 Nov 2017
- $1 million fire tender damaged in accident - 14 Nov 2017
- Lungu heads to Egypt for 3-day state visit - 13 Nov 2017
You may also like...
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- When we takeover govt mukanya ba pompwe, Kambwili warns PF
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- PAC sends away ministry auditor for improper dressing
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend