- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Tenson Mkhala on 17 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
Police need anger management – KatangaBy Joseph Mwenda on 20 Jun 2017
In this audio, Copperbelt Province Police Commissioner Charity Katanga says those who hold lethal weapons in their line of duty need a lot of stress and anger management training.
Katanga’s remarks come in the wake of a police officer Kelvin Kabaso of Luanshya who this morning shot his wife a fellow police officer, before turning the gun on himself, following a marital dispute.
“Today around 09:45 hours, Constable Kelvin Kabaso, 25, of House number 138 Levi Chito police camps in Luanshya, left his point of duty and went back home. Apparently, Constable Kabaso has been having marital problems, so his wife had called her mother to come and settle the problems because she had wanted to divorce,” Katanga narrated.
“Both are police officers. So the woman and the mother were inside the house when Constable Kabaso came home. So the man came in and said I am going to shoot her and shoot myself. Outside the house, there was another police officer Sgt Lungu. So he tried to calm the situation, but this officer said nalakushuta mudala (I will shoot you man). So as he was trying to move out, he shot the wife in the chest on the left side near the shoulder and she fell down.”
Take a listen:
Katanga narrated that Constable Kabaso attempted to kill himself but survived.
“After that Kabaso went inside the house and also shot himself in the mouth, but he was only injured on the cheek. He did not die, so he was rushed to the hospital where he is being attended to. The deceased is Febby Chabamba, 23, of the same house number,” she said.
She regretted the incident and told News Diggers! that there was need for police officers to undergo stress and anger management training because it was not possible to stop them using guns on duty.
“I think this gender based violence has had a toll on, not only the men and women in uniform, but the general members of the public out there. It’s more about sensitisation and stress management, that’s what I can say because it is very difficult for police officers to be prevented from using fire arms on duty. It’s barely four days when we had a similar incident where, due to marital problems, when the woman wanted to back out of the marriage, the man felt offended and we lost three lives,” said Katanga.
“This death could have been avoided, and I feel there is more that can be done to end gender based violence. We need stress management and most importantly anger management. I think also apart from our normal duties, we need anger management, that is very important. Especially for our men and women in uniform, anger management for these people who hold lethal weapons is very important. They normally resort to that and only realise later that the life which has been lost could have been avoided.”
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Tendai Biti regrets fall of Zambia’s democracy - 16 Aug 2017
- They raided my son’s office, not mine – Mulongoti - 15 Aug 2017
- Lungu’s oil exploration launch in legal tumble - 13 Aug 2017
- State to free HH tomorrow, reports Reuters - 13 Aug 2017
- Political Parties Bill not democratic – Antonio - 11 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend