- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
HH complains of a doctor who has forcibly taken over his ‘healthcare’ in prisonBy Joseph Mwenda on 30 Jun 2017
UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema has written to the Health Professions Council of Zambia, complaining about a Dr George Msipu Phiri whom he says is colluding with others to take over his healthcare in prison by force.
According to a letter dated June 28, addressed to the Council Registrar and signed by Hichilema, the UPND leader is worried that Dr is breaching his right to privacy, and that his life is in danger.
“I hereby write to complain against one of your members Dr Msipu Phiri director of medical and health services, who is also the deputy commissioner of police for unethical conduct and professional misconduct. Dr Phiri has shown serious professional misconduct, in the manner he is colluding and conspiring with certain known people handling my life affairs. I have every reason to fear for my health and my life and my complaint is based on the following. Dr Phiri has made maneuvers to invade and breach my right to privacy anchored on doctor patient confidentiality. Dr Phiri has, without consulting me accepted unlawful instructions to be dealing with my health matters in a letter authored by a Mr Sikazwe who allegedly is equally a doctor,” HH stated.
“Dr Phiri is insisting on handling my medical welfare even though he has full knowledge that I have a personal physician and is also aware that there is a court order as regards to how my health aspects should be handled. Dr Phiri has for some strange reason insisted that his involvement in my health issue is for my own good, and has told me in the presence of witnesses that he would continue taking care of me when I am taken back to Mukobeko correctional facility in Kabwe. I wonder what else Dr Phiri knows about my unjustified incarceration is being planned by the State for him to have prior knowledge that I will be taken back to Mukobeko from Lusaka Correctional Facility.”
He complained that Dr Phiri is insisting to supervise his personal physician.
“Dr Phiri has engaged in professional misconduct by insisting that he will be supervising my personal doctor, the consultant physician, whenever I am being examined.
This conduct by Dr Phiri offends the medical profession in terms of professional rank as to how senior doctors and junior doctors should relate. In any case, I do not know in what capacity Dr Phiri who is from Zambia Police is getting involved in my health matters when the matter is in court and I am in custody of prison authorities. I am left wondering what Dr Phiri’s true intentions are,” said HH.
“In view of the foregoing, I urge your humble disciplinary committee to discipline Dr Phiri. I am ready to attend the hearing with my legal representatives to substantiate my allegation. I have deliberately not included all relevant details in this letter for security purposes.”
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Meditating or snoring? Musenge’s prayer position sparks debate - 19 Oct 2017
- Lungu heads to Congo Brazzaville, then Ivory Coast - 16 Oct 2017
- Lusaka wife stabs hubby to death in his sleep - 15 Oct 2017
- Our fire tenders look like wheelbarrows – Minister - 15 Oct 2017
- Police arrest 17 for burning Mufumbwe police station - 15 Oct 2017
- ConCourt was inconsistent in handling Presidential Petition - JCC
- We are not a university for the poor - UNZA
- VP says Mulusa will be disciplined for likening fire tenders to wheelbarrows
- It was a PF provincial rally not a day of prayer - Kambwili
- Bishop Joshua Banda announces auction of Messi's jersey at Day of Prayer
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend