- by Joseph Mwenya in Kabwe on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Dec 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 8 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 8 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 7 Dec 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 7 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 5 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Reporter on 4 Dec 2017by Laura Miti on 24 Nov 2017by The Washington Post on 16 Nov 2017by Times of Zambia employees on 15 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 5 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 30 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 29 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenya on 28 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
Dictators don’t tolerate critics like I do – LunguBy Joseph Mwenda on 2 Jul 2017
President Edgar Lungu says he has tolerated so much criticism without hitting back, which he would not have allowed if he was a dictator.
The Head of State was speaking at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport before departure for Ethiopia where he has gone to attend the African Union Summit.
He said although Archbishop Telesphore Mpundu rebuked him in public, he will speak to to the Catholic Bishops privately.
“I met Catholic representatives yesterday and I will meet the Catholic bishops and I will hear their voice, the Archbishop spoke publicly but I will speak to him quietly and you know that is not what a dictator does,” president Lungu said.
He bragged that he was not a dictator because he consults a lot.
“A dictator does not consult, a dictator does not take criticism. I have taken so much, I have been punched so much but I have not hit back. Obviously I can hit back and all fairness I am a human being. But I believe people should be given enough latitude to contribute, to criticise, to do checks and balances and that is what democracy calls for,” said President Lungu.
And the President said some politicians and civil leaders were in the habit of insulting him so as to ride on his name to gain media coverage.
“I will not be distracted from doing my job because you are calling me a dictator, when I am not one. They are enjoying the coverage you are giving them when they say Edgar this. I am President so when you insult the President you get coverage and freedom of the press allows that,” President Lungu said.
“So for me those who are thinking they will get mileage or prominence by insulting me, humiliating me, they are just setting a bad precedence for the freedom of speech and opinion. However, I will not take them on because I will be elevating them to my level, I am too dignified for that,” he said.
President Lungu added that he was a very busy man to sit down for petty talk in the name of dialogue.
“..they should find more substantiative matters when dealing with me because I am a very busy man,” said President Lungu.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Consent order between judge Nkonde and State is criminal – Changala - 9 Dec 2017
- More youths demand Mwila’s removal as Kamba defends PF boss - 6 Dec 2017
- Vivo Energy buys Engen Holdings - 5 Dec 2017
- Lungu’s remarks may influence ConCourt ruling – LAZ - 5 Dec 2017
- Refugee aid dries up as more flee DRC for Zambia - 1 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend