- by Joseph Mwenda on 21 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Jul 2017by Karen Mwelwa on 21 Jul 2017by Tenson Mkhala on 21 Jul 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Joseph Mwenda on 21 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 19 Jul 2017
- by Diggers Editor on 21 Jul 2017by Karen Mwelwa on 18 Jul 2017by Charles Mafa on 13 Jul 2017by Karen Mwelwa on 13 Jul 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 20 Jul 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Hakainde Hichilema on 20 Jul 2017by Laura Miti on 13 Jul 2017by Stella Sata Rukayi on 8 Jul 2017by Nic Cheeseman on 7 Jul 2017
- by Mirriam Chabala on 16 Jul 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Jul 2017by Mukosha Funga on 26 Jun 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jun 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 2 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 18 Jun 2017
Lungu tells off LAZ: “Form a political party”By Joseph Mwenda on 18 Jul 2017
In this audio, President Edgar Chagwa Lungu tells off the Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) to form a political party and stop hiding behind the curtain of a legal association.
LAZ president Linda Kasonde yesterday wondered whether the circumstances that led to President Lungu declaring a Threatened State of Emergency could be justified, and further said neither the Head of State nor National Assembly had the powers to extend the declaration beyond the already approved three months.
She added that LAZ will consider taking action if any set regulations under the Threatened State of Emergency will not in conformity with the Constitution.
“President Lungu had the legal discretion to invoke Article 31. However, the question as to whether the circumstances cited for invoking Article 31 were justified can only be conclusively determined by a court of law. The government does not have full emergency powers under a Threatened State of Emergency. Any powers exercised must be used in accordance with the Constitution and in particular in accordance with the Bill of Rights,” said Kasonde
But speaking at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport before departure for Swaziland this morning, President Lungu took great exception to the questions raised by LAZ, and challenged the association which he is also a member of, to form a political party.
“Where are the lawyers in this country?” asked President Lungu who was in the company of Press aide Amos Chanda.
“If the lawyers want to form a political party, let them go ahead and form a political party,” he continued “Let them not abuse the profession; because what they are saying is politics, you can see it’s politics. For me I challenge them to form a political party, but let them not abuse the profession.”
He said he was ready to face LAZ if the Association wanted to challenge him.
“If they want to take me on on that one, they can take me on, we will meet them; but the truth is that there is too much politics in the Law Association of Zambia. So let them form a political party, but to abuse the law, the legal profession I belong to is totally unacceptable. Bye bye!,” said President Lungu.
Take a listen:
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF is being run by frustrated SG and deputy, they wanted to be ministers – youths - 21 Jul 2017
- Zambia withdraws from hosting 2019 AfCON - 21 Jul 2017
- Police arrest prime TV journalist Mark Simuwe - 21 Jul 2017
- Truck ferrying 53 people overturns, kills 11 in Munali Hills accident - 21 Jul 2017
- Catholic Bishops visit Hichilema at Mukobeko - 20 Jul 2017
You may also like...
Weekly Most Digged
- «July 2017»
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend