by Diggers Reporter on 17 Nov 2019by Diggers Reporter on 17 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 16 Nov 2019by Mirriam Chabala on 16 Nov 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Nov 2019by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 12 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 17 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Lungu tells off LAZ: “Form a political party”By Joseph Mwenda on 18 Jul 2017
In this audio, President Edgar Chagwa Lungu tells off the Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) to form a political party and stop hiding behind the curtain of a legal association.
LAZ president Linda Kasonde yesterday wondered whether the circumstances that led to President Lungu declaring a Threatened State of Emergency could be justified, and further said neither the Head of State nor National Assembly had the powers to extend the declaration beyond the already approved three months.
She added that LAZ will consider taking action if any set regulations under the Threatened State of Emergency will not in conformity with the Constitution.
“President Lungu had the legal discretion to invoke Article 31. However, the question as to whether the circumstances cited for invoking Article 31 were justified can only be conclusively determined by a court of law. The government does not have full emergency powers under a Threatened State of Emergency. Any powers exercised must be used in accordance with the Constitution and in particular in accordance with the Bill of Rights,” said Kasonde
But speaking at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport before departure for Swaziland this morning, President Lungu took great exception to the questions raised by LAZ, and challenged the association which he is also a member of, to form a political party.
“Where are the lawyers in this country?” asked President Lungu who was in the company of Press aide Amos Chanda.
“If the lawyers want to form a political party, let them go ahead and form a political party,” he continued “Let them not abuse the profession; because what they are saying is politics, you can see it’s politics. For me I challenge them to form a political party, but let them not abuse the profession.”
He said he was ready to face LAZ if the Association wanted to challenge him.
“If they want to take me on on that one, they can take me on, we will meet them; but the truth is that there is too much politics in the Law Association of Zambia. So let them form a political party, but to abuse the law, the legal profession I belong to is totally unacceptable. Bye bye!,” said President Lungu.
Take a listen:
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court refuses to stay defamation proceedings against Fresher Siwale - 11 Nov 2019
- Lungu fires new FIC board chair Siame - 11 Sep 2019
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe - 11 Sep 2019
- Lungu must address debt, loadshedding, mealie meal prices in Parley address – CSPR - 10 Sep 2019
- Don’t ask for credit, find who owns 48 houses, APNAC challenges ACC - 9 Sep 2019
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period (7,756 views)
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses (5,074 views)
- Sorry Amos, defending a President is a thankless job (4,461 views)
- Siwale displayed my NRC, alleged it belonged to Lungu, ZAF Lieutenant tells court (2,551 views)
- Cop threatens to shoot journalist during Kambwili interrogation (2,271 views)
- I don’t understand how we lost – Mwepu
- Lightning strike kills 4 Kawambwa family members
- Police nab HIV positive maid for breast feeding employer’s baby
- Chaos and Chaos:’ The Trouble with Climate Change and Environmental Protection in Zambia
- Cop threatens to shoot journalist during Kambwili interrogation
- National Assembly apologizes to Gary for imposing longer suspension period
- There’re 2 Lungus in State House, we met them both
- I'm at the bottom but God has a plan, says Mutati as Nevers meets Lungu
- How Mushimba influenced UNZA to pass his wife who failed 2 medical courses
- Lungu will be easy to beat in 2021 - UPND
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend