- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Oct 2017by Linda Jere on 21 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 21 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 18 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 19 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 18 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Joseph Mwenda on 19 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Oct 2017by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Lawyer explains Saviour’s detention: it’s over the words he used in a videoBy Mirriam Chabala on 3 Aug 2017
United Progressive People president Saviour Chishimba’s lawyer says he is being held for using word like “foolishness and bupumbu” in a video.
Lillian Mushota told News Diggers! in an interview at Woodlands Police Station where Saviour is detained that police would charge him with Defamation of the President.
“He used words like ‘foolishness’ in a video, ‘ chalo chakwa wiso nangu chakwa noko?’, ‘you will go to the land of the dead where you belong’ and ‘bupumbu bupumbu.’ So this is what they have called Defamation of the President under section 69 of CAP 87,” said Mushota.
“His message to the supporters is that they should remain calm and watch where this is going because until they have established that this is what they are after, they are looking for something to charge him with, I think they are fishing.”
And Police Spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo also confirmed in statement that Chishimba had been detained at Woodlands Police Station after interrogating him for two hours 45 minutes.
“Police have Warned and Cautioned the United Progressive People President , Saviour Chishimba of Makeni, Lusaka for the Offence of Defamation of President which is contrary to Section 69 of Cap 87 of the Laws of Zambia which occurred on 1st July, 2017 and 8th July, 2017 in Lusaka. He has since been detained in Police custody and will be charged once the officers are done with the processes,” stated Katongo.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam Chabala is a Zambian journalist who covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- ZICTA confiscates transmitter for a Choma community radio station - 19 Oct 2017
- ERB too quick at hiking prices, slow on reducing – CUTS - 18 Oct 2017
- National Day of Prayer has divided the nation – Kabimba - 18 Oct 2017
- Promise to stop stealing before inviting us for prayers, HH tells PF - 18 Oct 2017
- Mwila reserves party position on calls for Mulusa’s dismissal - 17 Oct 2017
You may also like...
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend