- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Dec 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Dec 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Dec 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 13 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 11 Dec 2017by William Chileshe on 8 Dec 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Dec 2017by Diggers Reporter on 14 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 13 Dec 2017by Mukosha Funga on 12 Dec 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 10 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 8 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 6 Dec 2017by Diggers Editor on 2 Dec 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Chibamba Kanyama on 26 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017
New UNHCR country representative takes officeBy Joseph Mwenda on 8 Aug 2017
Newly-appointed UNHCR Representative to Zambia, Pierrine Aylara, has assumed official duties after presenting her letters of credence in Lusaka to Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary, Ambassador Chalwe Lombe, on Friday 4th August, 2017.
Aylara, a Benin-Swiss national, prior to her appointment to Zambia served in various field locations and at UNHCR’s Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
According to UNHCR communications manager Kelvin Shimo, Aylara has also held several stints at senior level within UNHCR in Mozambique and Angola as Representative.
During her stewardship of UNHCR in Zambia and in fulfilling UNHCR’s mandate of protecting and finding durable solutions for refugees, Aylara said she looks forward to a sustained and effective working relationship with the Government of Zambia, members of the diplomatic community, UN Agencies, non-governmental organisations and all other major stakeholders and interlocutors in the refugee programme in Zambia including the civil society.
“Am very excited to work in this great country, Zambia, with a rich history of hosting refugees and focusing on solutions for them.” she explained.
Ambassador Lombe, who exceptionally received the letters of credence from the new UNHCR Representative, said the Zambian Government remained committed to the ideals of an open-door policy to refugees, and pursuit of peace and durable solutions for displaced persons whom the country has hosted since independence. Ambassador Lombe applauded the good working relationships between the Zambian Government and UNHCR, exemplified by President Edgar Chagwa Lungu’s commitments at the United Nations General Assembly High-level Summit on Addressing Large Movement of Refugees and Migrants last year and the Head of State’s recent meeting with UNHCR High Commissioner, Filippo Grandi, during the Solidarity Summit on Refugees hosted in Kampala, Uganda.
Aylara takes over from Ms Laura Lo Castro, who completed her assignment at the end of June 2017.
Zambia currently hosts some 58,000 refugees and others of concern, mostly from Angola, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia and Uganda. The vast majority reside in two refugee settlements – Mayukwayuka in Western Province and Meheba in North Western Province, while others live in urban areas or are self-settled in various locations.
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph Mwenda is a Zambian journalist experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- PF mourns Chief Shibuchinga - 17 Dec 2017
- Police ‘condemn’ beating of CBU student, but deny killing him - 11 Dec 2017
- UNHCR begs for funding as more Congolese flee into Zambia - 11 Dec 2017
- LAZ STATEMENT ON “MISLEADING MEDIA REPORTS” AGAINST THE ASSOCIATION - 11 Dec 2017
- Consent order between judge Nkonde and State is criminal – Changala - 9 Dec 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «December 2017»
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend