by Natasha Sakala on 21 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 21 Nov 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Nov 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 18 Nov 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala and Stuart Lisulo on 14 Nov 2019by Natasha Sakala on 14 Nov 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Nov 2019by Daniel Chansa on 20 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Nov 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Nov 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 17 Nov 2019by Elias Banda on 15 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 14 Nov 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Nov 2019
by Diggers Editor on 20 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Nov 2019by Diggers Editor on 14 Nov 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 17 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by CUTS on 7 Nov 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Oct 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Natasha Sakala on 8 Nov 2019by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019
Ministry of Information doesn’t deserve govt funding, its a PF wing – MwiimbuBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 9 Nov 2017
Monze central UPND member of parliament Jack Mwiimbu says the Ministry of Information has been fomenting chaos and tension in the country because it has turned itself into a propaganda wing of the PF.
And Mwiimbu said taxpayers’ money should not be spent on a ministry that only promotes ruling party agendas.
He was speaking in Parliament on Tuesday when he debated the vote for the ministry of information and broadcasting.
“Mr Chairman, this particular ministry has been fomenting chaos, it has been fomenting tension in this country as a result of misinformation and propaganda. This ministry, Mr Chairman does not deserve any ngwee of the public funds. This ministry is a disservice to this country. This ministry reminds me of the ministry of propaganda in Iraqi under Comical Ali (Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf former Iraqi diplomat and politician),” Mwiimbu said.
“Mr chairman, this particular ministry instead of propagating unity in the country, it has been used to propagate disunity and dislocation of the once One Zambia One Nation. This ministry is one ministry that has been abused by the PF government. It’s no longer a ministry of government as far as we are concerned, it’s a propaganda wing of the PF. Mr Chairman, for those who don’t know Comical Ali, Comical Ali was the minister of misinformation in Iraqi during the war. There was Chemical Ali and Comical Ali. Comical Ali was the one who was in charge of information in Iraqi.”
Mwiimbu further observed that the ministry of information had continued to abrogate the Constitution by ensuring that opposition parties had no access to the public media, during and after elections.
“Mr chairman sir, this ministry has abused the Times of Zambia, the Daily Mail and Dead NBC (ZNBC). We used to call it Zambia Nation Broadcasting Corporation but now its called Dead National Broadcasting Corporation. It has seized to live to the mandate that was given to the broadcasting authority by the people of this country. Mr chairman, you are all aware that under article 50, which I’m going to read to this house for those who have not read the Constitution, reads ‘a political party and a candidate contesting an election shall have access to the media especially during election campaigns’,” said Mwiimbu.
“This particular ministry ensured that any opposition party had no access to the public media during election and have continued abrogating the constitution by not allowing any other member of the public and the political party to appear on ZNBC to propagate their views apart from PF. So why should we, the tax payers in this country be funding an institution that does not serve our interests? Why should we and other Zambians pay tax for PF to manage their affairs? The answer is no!”
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lusaka man admits stealing 3 chairs from church - 20 Nov 2019
- State asks court to revoke Chita Lodge proprietor’s bond - 19 Nov 2019
- Siwale displayed my NRC, alleged it belonged to Lungu, ZAF Lieutenant tells court - 16 Nov 2019
- ConCourt grants M’membe withdrawal to review costs ordered on him over Post liquidation - 15 Nov 2019
- Lusaka man gets 60 years for aggravated robbery - 15 Nov 2019
- Chilubi MP dies (4,682 views)
- Shiwang’andu DC admits stopping UPND campaign helicopter from landing in 2016 (2,452 views)
- Kaizer explains accident: I acted to save school children, went into a ditch (2,444 views)
- Zesco pays Eskom for 3-month power import (1,833 view)
- Lungu will win 2021 despite load shedding, high mealie meal prices - Lusambo (978 views)
- Saasa ties kwacha’s depreciation to mines’ poor performance
- Zesco pays Eskom for 3-month power import
- Current debt stock reflection of PF’s ambitious infrastructure development agenda – Ng’andu
- It’s too early for MMD to form alliances – Nevers
- German Envoy a novice – Siliya; he’s inciting citizens to rise against govt – Kasolo
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend