- by Mukosha Funga on 22 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 22 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
We’ll give FIC power to prosecute criminals – GreensBy Joseph Mwenda on 26 Nov 2017
Revelations by the Financial Intelligence Centre that its staff members are under siege from criminals who are trying to influence the shutdown of the institution so that they can freely conduct money-laundering activities, are nauseating says Green Party President Peter Sinkamba.
The Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) disclosed that week that in the last nine months, the centre recorded 35, 783 suspicious cash transactions involving over US$ 1 billion, which are linked to corporate and individual bank accounts, and for this reason the suspects are scheming removal of senior officials and shutting down the institution.
Sinkamba said the FIC played a key role in combating financial crimes, but regretted that the agency was not empowered to prosecute.
“FIC is the sole designated National Agency mandated to receive, request, analyze and disseminate disclosure of information concerning suspected money laundering, terrorist financing and other serious offences to competent authorities for investigations with the view of assisting with combatting such and other serious offences,” Sinkamba said.
“This news is really nauseating. The trouble is that FIC has no powers to prosecute. It only has powers to receive, request, analyse and disclose such information to other agencies. Of what value is profiling and creating databases of financial crimes and matrices of illicit financial flows, if culprits remain unprosecuted?”
He said Zambia’s financial, trade, and economic needs were not well served by State agencies spying on people solely for data-basing.
“There is a compelling reason to realign the Zambia Security Intelligence Service (ZSIS) and Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) and the Drug Enforcement Commission (DEC) towards economic and financial well-being of Zambia. It is for this reason that the Green Party plans to transform the ZSIS, ACC and DEC into the Zambia Economic and Trade Intelligence Bureau (ZETIB), or in other words to be known as the ‘Eagles’,” said Sinkamba.
“This will be a multi-disciplinary intelligence agency, which will investigate and prosecute organised economic and trade crimes, including money laundering and corruption. It will consist of some of the best prosecutors, financial, trade, economic, forensic and intelligence experts in the country. This will entail re-orienting, retraining some members of the to-be-transformed ZSIS, ACC, to new order where they are stopped from spying, investigating and prosecuting people solely because they hold different views from the government on political and socio-economic issues but rather focus on financial, trade, and economic saboteurs.”
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Negotiate less chaotic exit with Vedanta before arbitration kicks in – Chipimo tips govt - 26 Jul 2019
- Lungu fires Mawere, transfers Chitotela, Luo - 19 Jul 2019
- Chaotic takeover, planned sale of KCM will have serious legal implications on Zambia – Chipimo - 17 Jul 2019
- It will be contempt if govt sells KCM before court process – Liquidator - 12 Jul 2019
- There’s no link between China debt relief and KCM – Musukwa - 2 Jul 2019
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India (2,350 views)
- Mushimba wonders why accepted UNZA student don’t show up to enroll (2,081 views)
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (1,658 view)
- You'll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt (1,641 view)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (1,042 view)
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend