- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
UPND mourns its 2017 fallen heroesBy Joseph Mwenda on 2 Jan 2018
UPND vice-president Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba (GBM) has described 2017 as Annus horribilis, meaning a year of disaster or misfortune in Latin, and has expressed sorrow to families that lost members on account of political violence.
And UPND president Hakainde Hichilema has urged citizens to enter 2018 with renewed vigour and determination towards making Zambia a better country.
The two leaders said this is separate statements shared on their Facebook pages on New Year’s Eve.
“As we are about to exit 2017, a year that has been an eventful year and one which may be described as ‘Annus Horibilis’ to many of our citizens, let us reflect and re examine ourselves. Let us look into the new year with determination and never again be taken for granted by cartels and a weak leadership,” GBM stated on Sunday evening.
“This is a time of merry making and enjoying our hard fought freedoms and hard work; but alas, a few have taken control and are the beneficiaries at the expense of the greater and bigger majority who have been reduced to poverty-stricken paupers.”
He thanked the party membership for its loyalty and determination.
“I wish to thank all our members in the UPND and all well-wishers and assure you that 2018 will be a different year. President HH and the entire party leadership have engaged higher gear and will make accountability of the country’s resources prominent. The rule of law must be respected by all institutions of government and individuals because Zambia is for all of us. We are also taking note of the inadequacies and incompetences of our so called national leadership, their greed and insatiable appetite for becoming rich on the country’s resources,” stated GBM.
“To all citizens, that have lost loved ones in 2017, I share with you your loss and I grieve with you. Some of those losses would have been avoided. Those born in 2017, welcome to this earth and the many issues that it brings. I wish to also urge all our citizens to take extra care of yourselves in the year we are entering and demand good governance and equitable treatment for all. Let us take Zambia forward. All the best; Happy and prosperous 2018.”
And HH thanked party members who prayed for him during his tribulations in 2017.
“We wish to wholeheartedly thank you for the prayers, support and encouragement you gave us in 2017. Let’s all move into 2018 with new resolve, vigour and determination towards making our country better. There are many challenges but with unity of purpose regardless of our political affiliations, we can achieve a lot,” stated HH.
“Please let’s enjoy responsibly as one family. We thank you once more for your massive support and looking forward to a year that will launch our nation on a more progressive path.”
About Joseph Mwenda
Joseph is experienced in political news writing, photography and video editing.
Email: joseph [at] diggers [dot] news
- Negotiate less chaotic exit with Vedanta before arbitration kicks in – Chipimo tips govt - 26 Jul 2019
- Lungu fires Mawere, transfers Chitotela, Luo - 19 Jul 2019
- Chaotic takeover, planned sale of KCM will have serious legal implications on Zambia – Chipimo - 17 Jul 2019
- It will be contempt if govt sells KCM before court process – Liquidator - 12 Jul 2019
- There’s no link between China debt relief and KCM – Musukwa - 2 Jul 2019
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (2,637 views)
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,474 views)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (2,050 views)
- Ingredients are right for UPND to form govt - HH (1,083 view)
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India
- PF clueless on how to fix declining economy – Kabimba
- Mealie meal has become too expensive for ordinary Zambians – Msoni
- British envoy urges Chevening scholars to use their talent to develop Zambia after study
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend