- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Lungu must fire Musukwa over scavenger remarks – MitiBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Jun 2018
Alliance for Community Action executive director Laura Miti says President Edgar Lungu should fire Mines Minister Richard Musukwa for calling Black Mountain victims scavengers and for declaring the dump site safe.
On Thursday, Musukwa told Parliament that he would not resign over the Black Mountain collapse which claimed 10 lives and injured 17 saying they were scavengers who were not licensed to be on site.
“The accident that we are considering, as you know government gave a license to seven companies. The people involved in the accident were scavengers. [They] were people that had entered the mine site illegally,” said Musukwa.
“If criminals or illegal people invade a mine site like they did at the Black mountain, surely that is not a good cause for me to resign. I’m not resigning. I’m going to ensure that this matter, the unfortunate circumstance that has happened is never repeated by ensuring that our people comply with the mines and minerals act.”
But in an interview, Miti said Musukwa’s response was unfortunate and showed how disrespectful government was to the poor.
“The mines minister’s response shows the extent of impunity and how out of touch this government is entirely. And also the disrespect they have for the poor, the poor lives don’t matter, they are just there to be bribed, to be manipulated. I think its one of the most unfortunate statement that has ever been made by a sitting minister in this country,” Miti said.
She said Musukwa owed the nation an apology.
“It’s an extremely tragic statement to come out of a sitting minister especially considering that he is the one who had said just a few days before that the Black Mountain was safe. So he owes the nation an apology, he owes the families of the dead an apology. And instead of apologizing, he stands up and arrogantly calls them scavengers and says that he cannot resign. So this shows a lot of impunity, it shows the level in which this government feels that it does not owe anyone any explanation, that it can survive without whatever anybody says about them,” Miti said.
She asked President Lungu to fire Musukwa for calling the victims scavengers.
“So you would expect that the President would call the minister to order and fire him. Fire him not only because of what he said but because he was responsible for the safety of that mountain and he had declared that it was absolutely safe. So it’s not entirely surprising what the minister said, it just shows what kind of government we have in place,” said Miti.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mambwe’s idiots remarks were demeaning, UNZA tells court - 3 Apr 2020
- Businessman convicted for stealing 36,000 litres of TAZAMA diesel - 3 Apr 2020
- It’s pretty much premature to shut down Zambia – IRMZA - 3 Apr 2020
- Govt doesn’t yet need Parliament approval to contract debt – Solicitor General - 2 Apr 2020
- 2 Tafuna chiefs in court over succession dispute - 2 Apr 2020
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us? (12,399 views)
- I am under quarantine, but fine - Davies Chama (4,449 views)
- Kampyongo says accusing him of being in quarantine is like alleging that Diggers editor is HIV positive (4,054 views)
- Why whip patrons if there's no lockdown? (3,339 views)
- We’re already on lockdown – Lungu (3,255 views)
- Govt will start distributing free masks – Chilufya
- Absa re-opens Centro Mall branch
- Kampyongo, Ng’andu released from quarantine after testing negative to COVID-19 – Chilufya
- COVID-19 is airborne? Why is Ministry of Health misleading us?
- Kampyongo says accusing him of being in quarantine is like alleging that Diggers editor is HIV positive
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «April 2020»
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
[search_popup]Send this to a friend