by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
Govt must apologize for lying to Zambians on fuel – KabimbaBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 4 Oct 2018
Rainbow party leader Wynter Kabimba has demanded an apology from the PF government following blatant lies that fuel pump prices were not going to be increased in view of the depreciating kwacha.
Reacting to the huge upward adjustment in fuel pump prices effected by the Energy Regulation Board (ERB), Kabimba expressed shock at how government, through the ERB, misled the nation by failure to keep its word that the depreciation of the kwacha would not affect the cost of fuel.
The former justice minister equally expressed frustration and dismay at the seeming incompetence and lack of co-ordination in the entire government bureaucracy.
“We were assured by the Energy Regulation Board just a week ago when the kwacha started nose diving, that the kwacha would not affect the price of fuel. The Times of Zambia, which is a government tabloid, ran a headline saying that, ‘we, the citizens, of this country should not believe in the rumours that there was an impending increase in the price of fuel. It is, therefore, shocking to the citizens that hardly a week later, there is this upward price increase in fuel. So, the question that begs the answer is, do the people in this government know what they are doing? Is there co-ordination in the PF government? Do they have consultations amongst themselves? Are these parastatals, like ERB, being properly supervised by the superintending ministries?” Kabimba wondered.
He said the latest increment in fuel prices was a true reflection of incompetence in the PF government.
“What you have seen here in the fuel thing is what has caused us problems. There is clearly no co-ordination amongst government ministries and government agencies in terms of running the affairs of this country and hence the problems in which we are today. So, this has everything to do with whether or not we have competent people in government. And we in the Rainbow party think that this is a reflection of the incompetence in the PF government because this did not come from the opposition, it was not prompted by anybody, [but] it was them that gave us the assurance through ERB that we should not worry, we should go to sleep, and that the depreciation of the kwacha will not impact on the price of fuel,” recalled Kabimba.
“So, we want an apology from them. The Zambian people deserve an apology in view of this increment that the government lied to us through ERB; that is what I would demand from government! And just to reinforce the argument that this is not the first time it happened over the Black Mountain again. The guys must get serious with running a country. This is a country of lives of human beings [and] so we must be serious with these matters. What else can they do? Because they can’t reduce the price and what do you do when you have told lies? Surely, you apologize. That is the best you can do. The best that a human being of integrity and honesty can do; when they have wronged you; when they have told you a lie; when they have misled you; is to apologize and say ‘sorry we misled the nation’.”
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lungu forcing self-driven Constitution on Zambians – Milupi - 20 Sep 2019
- We’re poorly funded to fight all corruption – ACC - 19 Sep 2019
- Zambia plans maize exports to DRC - 19 Sep 2019
- Zambeef driver commits suicide - 19 Sep 2019
- 2020 budget should clear K1.2 billion owed to medical suppliers, demands PSZ - 18 Sep 2019
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (3,430 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (1,407 view)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (993 views)
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency - KBF (962 views)
- It’s against separation of powers for Parley to supervise executive - PF (901 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend