- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
There’s precedence on appointment of acting mayor – MilesBy Abraham Kalito on 13 Dec 2018
Lusaka Mayor Miles Sampa has explained that he decided to appoint Ngwerere ward 19 councillor Adrian Banda to act in his capacity because he was under the the impression that Deputy Mayor, Chilando Chitangala, would be away attending classes.
On Tuesday Sampa instructed Banda to act in his capacity, a move which Local Government Permanent Secretary Amos Malupenga said was illegal, ordering that Chitangala should act in his capacity instead during the duration of his stay in the United States.
But in a letter addressed to Malupenga, Thursday, Sampa said there was precedence on appointing an acting mayor.
He explained that his intention was not aimed at questioning the capability or competency of the Deputy Mayor, but to ensure that other councillors gained experience and understanding of the Mayoral role.
“Please note that despite the precedent set by act by previous Mayors at Lusaka City Council like the late Wilson Kalumba (MHSRlP) and those before him, It has been brought to my attention that I cannot delegate roles in my office to a councillor be it for administrative purposes only. I was under the impression that the Deputy Mayor would not be at work because she had school class to attend but the substantive person to act when am not available at the office is Councillor Chilando Chitangala whom by copy I am advising; and instructing to act as Mayor until my return accordingly. I have always formally written to the Deputy Mayor to act in my previous absence from omce. My intention was not to slight or question the capability of our competent and able Deputy Mayor, but to ensure that other councillors gain experience and understanding of the Mayoral role,” wrote Sampa.
“This will ensure that in future there are more candidates with real experience which can only be a good thing for the people of Lusaka. I shall continue to endeavor to ensure that processes are followed and that in future, conscious of the heightened attention of my actions. that l communicate the reasoning behind these these where ever possible. As for you councillor Adrian Banda, my traditional cousin please continue doing what you do best and that is keeping Garden Township clean. To the permanent Secretary, I take note of your guidance and be assured of total compliance on the subject accordingly.”Related Items
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,608 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,576 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,352 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,666 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,369 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend