by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Mukosha Funga on 15 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
There’s precedence on appointment of acting mayor – MilesBy Abraham Kalito on 13 Dec 2018
Lusaka Mayor Miles Sampa has explained that he decided to appoint Ngwerere ward 19 councillor Adrian Banda to act in his capacity because he was under the the impression that Deputy Mayor, Chilando Chitangala, would be away attending classes.
On Tuesday Sampa instructed Banda to act in his capacity, a move which Local Government Permanent Secretary Amos Malupenga said was illegal, ordering that Chitangala should act in his capacity instead during the duration of his stay in the United States.
But in a letter addressed to Malupenga, Thursday, Sampa said there was precedence on appointing an acting mayor.
He explained that his intention was not aimed at questioning the capability or competency of the Deputy Mayor, but to ensure that other councillors gained experience and understanding of the Mayoral role.
“Please note that despite the precedent set by act by previous Mayors at Lusaka City Council like the late Wilson Kalumba (MHSRlP) and those before him, It has been brought to my attention that I cannot delegate roles in my office to a councillor be it for administrative purposes only. I was under the impression that the Deputy Mayor would not be at work because she had school class to attend but the substantive person to act when am not available at the office is Councillor Chilando Chitangala whom by copy I am advising; and instructing to act as Mayor until my return accordingly. I have always formally written to the Deputy Mayor to act in my previous absence from omce. My intention was not to slight or question the capability of our competent and able Deputy Mayor, but to ensure that other councillors gain experience and understanding of the Mayoral role,” wrote Sampa.
“This will ensure that in future there are more candidates with real experience which can only be a good thing for the people of Lusaka. I shall continue to endeavor to ensure that processes are followed and that in future, conscious of the heightened attention of my actions. that l communicate the reasoning behind these these where ever possible. As for you councillor Adrian Banda, my traditional cousin please continue doing what you do best and that is keeping Garden Township clean. To the permanent Secretary, I take note of your guidance and be assured of total compliance on the subject accordingly.”Related Items
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (2,955 views)
- RDA, AVIC single sourcing deal pure corruption - Kambwili (1,381 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (1,062 view)
- UTH hikes user fees (986 views)
- Nkombo wonders how "inflicting misery on people" will help Lungu win 2021 (959 views)
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend