- by Julia Malunga on 20 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 19 Aug 2019
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 16 Aug 2019
- by Julia Malunga on 19 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Aug 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
God made Lungu President because he’s humble, unlike UPND – MumbiBy Mirriam Chabala on 3 Jan 2019
PF deputy secretary general Mumbi Phiri has expressed disappointment with sentiments attributed to Chirundu UPND member of parliament Douglas Syakalima that “the devil, not God, made President Edgar Lungu Head of State”.
Reacting to Syakalima’s statement in an interview, Phiri said God elevated President Lungu to his current position because he had been humble leader who never exalted himself.
Phiri said God lifted President Lungu to the position of Head of State because he was humble, unlike people like Syakalima who were self-exalted.
“This is 2019, me as deputy Secretary General of the PF party, I would encourage you as News Diggers! to be enlightening us as government in the areas we are failing. Don’t be shy to speak against us if we are committing any ills against the people of Zambia. So for hoonourable Syakalima, he’s an elected member of parliament, to judge President Edgar Lungu (scoffs), he’s not God. God knows President Edgar Lungu inside out. And let me remind them again, Lesa asumbula abashaisansamika (God lifts up those who humble themselves). The Bible is very clear [Lesa] asumubula abashaisansamika. Abaisansamika (those who lift themselves up) like ba Syakalima, he brings them down,” she said.
“You remember what was being said about me? Even when I said ‘God’s time is the best time’, people used to think I was joking. But me I am a believer in God, and here I am. I am with honourable Syakalima, he’s a back bencher, I have gone in also as a nominated member of parliament because I always believe in waiting upon the Lord. Let us also remember that when our God calls us. I will not go and face my God as a PF MP, I will not go as honourable Mumbi Phiri. When God created me he knew my name, which is Mumbi and when I face him, I will face him as Mumbi.”
And Phiri, who is a nominated PF member of parliament, backed President Lungu’s call to have Christians in politics, saying having Christians in political positions would bring dignity into the country’s political circles.
“That is very unfortunate for honourable Syakalima to have said, and if we continue with this type of politics, then I don’t know where we are going to end. It’s true that we should have Christians in politics, so that we have dignity in our political circles. When you are a Christian, you believe in what you believe in. And I am on record myself of having said this, that’s why I can publicly say today that I am where I am because of God… Can I remind the nation that we were in the opposition for 10 years as PF. What type of politics did we play? We played the politics of development, not the individual attacks which are being perpetuated by our colleagues. When we were in the opposition as PF, we managed to save the life of Patricia Maluti, who was a student at the University of Zambia. When the child was not being taken to South Africa, by then the Minister of Health was Dr Brian Chituwo. And when that child was being taken to South Africa at the Airport, my President, Michael Chilufya Sata was there at the Airport to see of the child,” Phiri said.
“In 2009, there was K48 billion which was allocated to Munali constituency for the construction of the roads in Gardenia, Mutendere, PHI… I was being reminded everyday by Mr Sata to talk about it. Those were the checks and balances we were doing. Remember that it was in my tenure that the UNZA bridge was constructed and I could go to that bridge and records are there. Whenever the Minister then Honourable Simbao heard that I was at the site, he could come. We would do the adjustments accordingly. I was never suspended from my party for working with the government of the day. But what are seeing now? We see our colleagues on TV, through you as the media whom they think are friendly to them… instead of following the ministers to their offices, they are scared that their leadership will suspend them. So how do they expect to take development to their areas?”
Meanwhile, Phiri has advised youths in the country not allow politicians to use them as tools of violence this year.
“I would like thank God for taking me into 2019 and I continue reminding the youths that let none of us use you as tools for violence. If I come the youths and tell you to say ‘here is a Panga, he is a gun, here is beer’ this 2019, challenge us. We are leaving our children at home and we want to destroy other people’s children. But time has come where you should challenge us so that we move this country forward. For me 2019 is a year where I will be celebrating my 50 years jubilee. So I am looking forward to you as the youth to challenge us and put us in the right place,” said Phiri.
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,123 views)
- Lungu is in gear 5 of 2021 campaigns (1,848 view)
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees (939 views)
- UPND reports GBM to police for 'tribal hatred' (894 views)
- Only a miracle can stop kwacha’s depreciation – Hamaundu (880 views)
- Lungu must urgently declare hunger crisis, insists HH
- We’re a hungry nation because we insist that maize is our staple food
- The corrupt are evil, we must not glorify those who steal from us – Musa
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up – Nkombo
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Don’t tell us what to do, if you see hunger, just donate, Lungu responds to British Envoy
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend