by Ulande Nkomesha on 14 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Oct 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019by Natasha Sakala on 11 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 10 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 11 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 11 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019by By Tim Zulu and Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 4 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
PF wants to use Charles Banda’s excuse to shun dialogue – SeanBy Thomas Mulenga on 10 Jan 2019
Patriots for Economic Progress (PeP) leader Sean Tembo says Tourism Minister Charles Banda’s statement that the upcoming national dialogue should not be used to embarrass President Edgar Lungu are excuses by the PF to shun the talks.
In a statement, Tembo stated that the PF were not interested in the dialogue process because the agenda of the dialogue, such as rampant abuse of the Public Order Act, are issues that help sustain the ruling party’s stay in power.
“As PeP, we have noted with regret the statement that was recently issued by the Mr Charles Banda in which he threatened to withdraw President Edgar Lungu from the national dialogue process on allegations that the President was being disrespected by the Church mother bodies. Our position on this matter is that, the PF in general and President Lungu in particular, have never, at any given time, been genuinely committed to the national dialogue process, as evidenced from President Lungu’s decision to abscond from the meeting that was recently convened by the three Church mother bodies,” Tembo stated.
“The reason why the PF has never been genuinely interested in the national dialogue process is because national dialogue seeks to address the issue that the PF rely on in order to cling to power, such as abuse of the Public Order Act by the PF, prevention of political opponents from campaigning; abuse of the media by allowing state media houses like ZNBC, Daily Mail and Times of Zambia to practice ‘yellow journalism,’ as well as intimidating private independent media houses through the threat of closure, and the abuse of the electoral laws by bribing voters using taxpayers’ money.”
He said Banda’s pronouncement in a statement issued last week was an excuse by the PF to stay away from the dialogue process.
“It is apparent to us that the PF are unlikely to let go of the tools that they use to stay in power, and by extension, the PF can never be genuinely interested in the ongoing national dialogue process. However, in order to save face, PF and President Lungu are looking for an excuse to use in order to abandon the ongoing national dialogue process. The statement by the Tourism Minister Charles Banda that President Lungu is being disrespected by the Church mother bodies is one such lame excuse,” argued Tembo.
“Our message to the PF and President Lungu is that, let them abandon the national dialogue process since they are not interested and have never been genuinely interested. However, Zambian people will judge them accordingly should there be chaos before, during and after the 2021 general elections because the national dialogue failed.”
About Thomas Mulenga
Thomas Mulenga has a special interest in political news, current affairs, community and education news.
- Registrar of Societies playing foolish politics – NAREP - 31 May 2019
- Lungu committed to delivering health care services – Chilufya - 31 May 2019
- Austerity measures a sham – Kambwili - 31 May 2019
- NAREP opposes cancellation of agricultural shows in 3 provinces - 30 May 2019
- Kang’ombe’s victory in Sesheke petition a lesson to PF – UPND - 30 May 2019
- Too late for Ng’andu to catch the Patriotic Front runaway train (2,041 views)
- Kalaluka fights LAZ's subpoenas against himself, Lubinda (1,114 view)
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies" (1,027 view)
- Don’t blame climate change but corruption for economic crisis - KBF (1,003 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (981 views)
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
- Police lied about Kaoma shooting, with impunity
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend