- by Julia Malunga on 20 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 19 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 19 Aug 2019
- by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 16 Aug 2019
- by Julia Malunga on 19 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Aug 2019by Daniel Chansa on 16 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
PF must deliver its promises to avoid possible 2021 defeat – Kantanshi MPBy Thomas Mulenga on 15 Jan 2019
Kantanshi Independent member of parliament Anthony Mumba says the abuse of public funds by those in government positions must come to an end in 2019 if Zambia is to develop.
And Mumba says the only way the PF will survive an election defeat in 2021 is by delivering on the campaign promises made.
In an interview, Mumba said thieving government officials must be named and shamed in order to instil fear in other would-be wrong doers.
“Let me thank the Minister of Finance for agreeing with me that we need to come up with the framework of naming and shaming the Ministries that continue to embezzle funds, that continue to misapply funds because that’s the only way that others who will be given an opportunity to serve in those offices will be fearing. Because fear is the beginning of wisdom. When you start to fear that these are public funds, they belong to the people of Zambia, then you are going to see change of attitude,’ Mumba said.
“Look at what happened at the Ministry of Community Development where those people who were supposed to distribute Social Cash Transfer money. The old, to the lame, the underprivileged could not access the money simply because of what happened at ZamPost, the paying point. That was irresponsible! We go to Ministry of General Education, this is where the development of any country starts from, you go and embezzle funds, and this is money given to you by donors because they believe in you, they see that you are striving to try and achieve something for your country, they give you money, you embezzle. You go to Ministry of Transport and Communication, you find the draggers that are meant to remove weeds from our rivers for the smooth flow of water, you find a company has been paid US$9 million without following tender procedure, and someone is still out there on the street.”
He said it was important that culprits were dealt with firmly and removed from the government.
“So, those who have been given these positions by President [Edgar] Lungu must do the correct thing. So, in 2019, it is important, let’s get rid of these bad vices. Because if we do that, we are going to ensure that we have drugs in hospitals, which are not overpriced, we have infrastructures that is not overpriced and there will be no attacks on the Treasury. What we need to deal with is the greed,” Mumba demanded.
And Mumba who is otherwise a PF-aligned Independent MP, said the ruling party needed to deliver its campaign promises if it were to survive a possible 2021 election defeat.
“The PF must up its game because what they are up against is the people of Zambia, who put them in government; the people who believed in lower taxes; the people that believed in more money in their pockets; the people who believed that business would be flowing for SMEs, that’s what they need to put in order. And this goes back to those who have been put in government offices to ensure that they turn this around; protect jobs in the mining sector, ensuring that the tourism sector also benefits the local people. The PF has an opportunity in 2019 to sort itself out in terms of how it prepares itself for 2021,” advised Mumba.
About Thomas Mulenga
Thomas Mulenga has a special interest in political news, current affairs, community and education news.
- Registrar of Societies playing foolish politics – NAREP - 31 May 2019
- Lungu committed to delivering health care services – Chilufya - 31 May 2019
- Austerity measures a sham – Kambwili - 31 May 2019
- NAREP opposes cancellation of agricultural shows in 3 provinces - 30 May 2019
- Kang’ombe’s victory in Sesheke petition a lesson to PF – UPND - 30 May 2019
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,155 views)
- Lungu is in gear 5 of 2021 campaigns (1,855 view)
- Mercury Security Services sues Lusaka lawyer over K2m fees (944 views)
- UPND reports GBM to police for 'tribal hatred' (899 views)
- Only a miracle can stop kwacha’s depreciation – Hamaundu (881 views)
- Lungu must urgently declare hunger crisis, insists HH
- We’re a hungry nation because we insist that maize is our staple food
- The corrupt are evil, we must not glorify those who steal from us – Musa
- We can give mine licenses to Zambians, but we also need foreign investors – Musukwa
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up – Nkombo
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
- Don’t tell us what to do, if you see hunger, just donate, Lungu responds to British Envoy
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend