- by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
L/stone MP’s arrest a witch hunt – KatukaBy Sipilisiwe Ncube on 1 Feb 2019
UPND secretary general Stephen Katuka says the arrest of the party’s Livingstone member of parliament by the Anti-Corruption Commission is a nonsensical witch hunt because no Councillor leaves his office without a plot.
In an interview, Katuka said the arrest was politically motivated and meant to silence the party ahead of the 2021 general elections.
“Tell me, which councillor leaves the council without a plot? Which Councillor in Zambia has served as a Councillor and leaves the council without a single plot? So that is nonsense. That is why I am saying every Councillor at the end of his term comes out of the council with a plot, if not even more than one. You know [that[, I know [that] and everyone knows. So there is no issue there. It is witch haunting. They can find a better reason for arresting him not that he gave himself a plot,” Katuka said.
Katuka said he also acquired plots in Mwinilunga during the time when he served as MP in that area.
“I have plots in Mwinilunga, I was MP for Mwinilinga so I have plots there. Because what do you get from the council? You are in charge of plots there and that is what they all get. Let them take an audit of all the councils [and] all those who have served as Councillors and see who came out without a plot. Let them do an audit countrywide and see who has no plot but has served as Councillor,” Katuka said.
He challenged the Anti-corruption Commission (ACC) to prove its genuineness by carrying out a countrywide audit at all councils.
“It’s politically motivated. They can’t silence us in 2021 because of one incident. And wherever is goes, you know there is no anti-corruption anymore. Those are just PF anti-corruption. If there was ant-corruption why don’t they go and check all the other councils [but] they only choose to target only one person? We are not shaken because there is no substance in the whole matter,” said Katuka.
About Sipilisiwe Ncube
Sipilisiwe Ncube has a background in radio news.
Email: sipilisiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- K1,500 surcharge for CBU students a fundraising venture – Kabwita - 12 Aug 2019
- PF has opened overnight street vending along Lusaka’s Lumumba Rd – Moonga - 12 Aug 2019
- Oasis Forum calls for withdrawal of Constitution bill - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs about US $660bn annually to achieve SDGs – UNCA - 9 Aug 2019
- Africa needs home-grown solutions for its challenges – Lungu - 8 Aug 2019
- Mwenye's corruption remarks irk PF (3,599 views)
- ConCourt has no powers to hear Bill 10 - Kalaluka (2,567 views)
- If austerity measures were working, we wouldn't be having these problems – BoZ (2,346 views)
- Zesco announces increased load-shedding (1,659 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (1,325 view)
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
- High mealie meal prices are an indictment on Lungu – Nalumango
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend